Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

recognizing newly installed memory

• Please log in to reply

mmrrph

mmrrph

• Pip
  • 5 posts
:tazz: -please.

i've just bought a new memory card for my older computer. unfortunately, my minimal user's manual has nothing in it about step 10 of the installation procedure for my new memory:

"...follow instructions that describe the steps necessary to allow your computer to recognize the newly installed memory."

how do i get my computer to recognize the memory?

i'm on a pc. windows 2000. need to know anything else?

drat. i knew it was too much to hope that i could snap it into the motherboard, turn it back on and have it work just that simply.

thank you! i'd really like to make this purchase work on my own w/o having to haul my tower to some computer fix-it place to recognize memory i've already "installed."

Advertisements

fungit

fungit

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi,

First things first, please let us know what type of system you have, all the specs including motherboard model/make (normally appears on the bios screen or alternatively the model number is usually on the motherboard in white writing eg: ga-7vtxe or something like that depending on the motherboard manufacterer.
Don't forget to give details of the new memory you want to put in as well as well as your current memory you have in your system as well (now it's time for me to fall down a well :tazz: )

Edited by fungit, 18 September 2005 - 02:13 PM.

mmrrph

mmrrph

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
:tazz:

after realizing i had no idea what had happened with the beast after opening it up to find the requested info and turning it back on to find the boot-up suddenly wonky and the mouse & keyboard unresponsive, i sighed heavily and turned it back off and this morning left it at an establishment that knows far more about such things than i do.

:)

thanks for the would-be assist, however. 'tis greatly appreciated.

shows me for thinking it'd be easy. :)

fungit

fungit

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
My fault for not telling you the proper precautions to take, sorry :tazz:

mmrrph

mmrrph

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
well, don't fall in that well yet - all will be well.

eventually...

:)

'tis okay. i'm better off having this part of it done for me all the way around, i'm sure. the sucky part is being confronted by situations that demand you admit you know/understand far less than you once assumed.

heh. :tazz:

next time i have a question we'll see if i manage to do any better. :)

mmrrph

mmrrph

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
update:

the repair guy opened her up, fiddled a bit then pronounced "i've no idea what you did wrong. doesn't look like anything..."

he took all the memory out. popped it all back in again, made certain it was secure. rebooted.

it all worked, no problem. :tazz:

[i swear, i'd done that at least twice before :) ]

one of those great mysteries about it not 'taking' when i do it but working fine when those "i'm paying him" tech hands gets a hold of it.

oh well. silver lining: it's working now - and the fix-it was so simple he didn't charge me much at all.