Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

what do you use a home p.c. for

• Please log in to reply

HarryMay

HarryMay

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
I was just wondering what others mainly use home pc.s for.Personally I fimd myself womdering alot but always come back to medievil society.current affairs that are not widely discussed.I think of it as a worldwide typewriter where everyone has the chance either to read or not to read what is on my mind.I liken it to a boundless library where there's a chance you'll always find what you're looking for.and a site such as this really has made me think about how to interact with others.I was just wondering what othersw used their home computers for.

Advertisements

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Since I have a new computer, I use it to show it off lol, play games, internet, etc

cassykins

cassykins

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Surf the 'Net, visit chatboards, IM my friends, the like. I also like playing the occasional game or two.

cleverboy12

cleverboy12

• PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
Help other people out with computers. Do homework assignments.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Everything : Internet, games, IM more games, Work, coding and modelling when im not being to lazy to learn them(which is most of the time).

Guse

Guse

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
My computer is generally a really expensive GameBoy.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Sorry I cannot talk about my home computer without putting it into a larger context in that we are dealing with a telephone/television/computer thing. So starting with a mobile phone which hangs around my neck, I am on call 24/7 for calls and mail, can take photos and listen to MP3s but this prepaid phone isn't paid up, so I need my fixline and broadband for phoning either by skype or by phoning normally. It is my wife's computer that has skype, This computer is running linux kubuntu where I exchange mails and can start threads or reply to posts on boards like now. This about covers for comunications then.

Another old pentinum II is great for watching TV with being a lot quieter than later models though still with a big enough harddrive to record hours of anything I like in avi format to store on an external harddrive.

Internet as now by kubunto linux on this 20gb machine is a total waste so I am looking to linux os on a 4gb machine or even the 2gb machine, since the goal is simply to have Internet outside of that three way battle between Microsoft/malware/antivirus which we know to be ongoing(enough said here).

My taste in Internet things is too varied to go into detail here bar to say that work pushes me towards computer repair information while I am supposed to have an undetailed eye on what people are looking at on the Internet in the shop here, I find internet cafe users to be very sharing in that way almost dying to show me something that has interested them. One example was the lady who came into the shop last week who asked me to take scans of photo of women and children in a dormatry complex in some African country, so while doing those scans with her she explained that these were women who had been raped by soldiers and then together with their resulting children had been rejected by their families, forced out their villages, etc., I then said that the scans were free and guess what I looked up that afternoon in my spare Internet time then?

Last point, just a thought that crossed my mind today. I guess we all remember that famous Roman maxim "If you want to know who you are, look at your friends" I fear that it should read "....., look at your computer usage, interests, etc.," I guess that marketing had already concluded that much then, hence all those cookies. Anyway, I have to thank the person who started this thread on what I use the computer for, I never thought I would be replying now: well to know oneself by it.

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
homework, forums, blogs, trailers, downloads, IMs, some other stuff.

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
Making the Geeks 2 Go staff P oed :tazz:

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
When I was a kid, I'd get interested in a subject, si I would hop on my bicycle to go to the library. Using the Card Catalog, and the Dewey Decimal System, I would research the subject the best I could, which meant knowing exactly how to look something up, and then physically locating the book. I remember being excited when the county libraries started to share and I could "order" something.

Now there is Google, and the World's Largest Database, the Internet... WOW! Instant convenient accurate info, as close as my keyboard and as fast as I can think up keywords. I have never been bored.

I use the computer for communication (email & IM), surfing, music, writing, my five websites online, and gaming, if Spider Solitaire counts. LOL

Johanna

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
being 7 years old (the computer not me) i use it currently so that i don't feel so bad about having the snazzy desk in that room without something on it..

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

(the computer not me)

View Post

I almost missed that part.

I was like 7 years old and trusted tech?? :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what can i say...i'm a fast learner...hehehe LET"S PLAY POKEMON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

customcomp

customcomp

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

what can i say...i'm a fast learner...hehehe LET"S PLAY POKEMON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

View Post

lol i still have those cards :)

Even the charizard one ( thats the one thats worth £150 ) :) :ph34r:

i use my computer strictly for gaming, surfing the web, IM, E-mial, typing and nothing else :tazz: :)

Edited by customcomp, 21 September 2005 - 01:50 PM.

M4_Fanatic

M4_Fanatic

• PipPipPip
  • 282 posts
i use my computer for anything i can do with them.
Homework, mucking around, chat with friends,internet and games.