Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Themes

• Please log in to reply

lil_cat_luver

lil_cat_luver

• PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
Hi everyone,
I'm looking for a free software that has downloadable themes that you can install for your desktop :tazz:. Something similar to IconPackager but applies to things other than icons. It has to have a back to default function (in case something goes wrong), and it has to work under Windows2000.

All suggestions are appreciated, thanks in advance

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well there is windowblinds from the folks that made iconpackager, aston shell and my current favourite stylexp. Aston is the most drastic change but makes your GUI more efficeint not less efficeint as alot of skining tools do(It also has some very cool themes once you get used to the different layout)
Windowblinds, i dont really like it, has some cool themes but isnt very efficeint and munches system resources.
Stylexp its somewhere between aston and windowblinds, it doesnt use anymore resources than the windows themes as it essentially replaces them with its own cooler ones, also has other cool options like boot and logon screens, new screensavers and new wallpaper, as well as icons and mouse cursors.

hulud

hulud

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
windowblinds is the best imo, well worth the $ and its not that expensive.

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
There's a huge list here: http://www.download....tml?tag=nav_dir

lil_cat_luver

lil_cat_luver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
Ah, cnet...should've thought of that earlier, hehe. Although, the better ones are only just the three that warriorscot mentioned.
StyleXP, I can't use because I don't have Windows XP and I'm not too keen on downloading windowblinds if it uses up system resource. Aston shell seems like a good choice. I've read through the details of aston on its website, and didn't see anything about restoring to default. Once an aston theme is installed, it replaces the default desktop right? So if I wanted to go back to the default desktop theme, could that be done (easily)?

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
yes it can. I have tried it myself but it takes a lot of time to configure the themes and it's kinda hard to get used to in my opinion.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Aston just installs like a normal program, most people have to customise it a little to suit there tastes but that aint a bad thing its as easy or hard as you want it to be.