Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RPC Server is unavailable

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
EmilyPam...

How about this for a catch 22...we need an update to fix a "not able to update" issue...Thanks Microsoft!

See if you can download this one....it's not from the update site.

Create a folder on the desktop (Right click the desktop, choose "New" and then "Folder"...Name it SP2)

Go HERE and download Service Pack 2 for Windows XP...choose the option to "Save" in the "File Download" dialog box...Save it to the folder you created on the desktop (SP2) by navigating to it in the "Save In" text box...click "Save"

This is a very large download and will take quite a while...Let me know if you can download it...

wannabe1

Advertisements

EmilyPam

EmilyPam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
okay i registered some dll's into the computer and it seems that the updates might be working because my globe is popping up now, and it's trying to install Service Pack 2, the only problem is, is when its installing i get an error message that reads Service Pack 2 Setup could not back up registry key HKCR/.DVR-MS to file C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$\reg00013. 5: Access is denied

If they are talking about Administration Rights I am logged on as the administrator.

Whats the next move? lol

Em

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is the update continueing or giving you the option to do so?

EmilyPam

EmilyPam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
it will continue but then it will it say that one more file could not be backed up and then it continues on to install but then it says it cant then it stops the installation

EmilyPam

EmilyPam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
it is asking for me to download a again ....i will give you all 3 messages as they come in

*starting the download*

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is this the update in the link I posted? If not, try that one only instead of Save, choose to "Run it from the current location" and see what happens.

EmilyPam

EmilyPam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
okay i am downloading the link you posted, i saved it and it's saving now...when it asks me to run i will click ok

If i have problems i will then try to run it from its current location

EmilyPam

EmilyPam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

EmilyPam...

Click Start then Run...In the Run box, type services.msc...Click "Ok".
Find the Background Intelligent Transfer Service service, and right-click to select it.
Select Properties...In the Startup Type list, select Automatic.
Verify the service Status is Started...if not, Click "Start" then click "Ok".

Now try to Update...

wannabe1

View Post

I also tried this again....and it let me w/no error code! I hope that's a good sign

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
A very Good Sign!!!

EmilyPam

EmilyPam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
to make a long story short...I could not install service pack. it gave me 4 error messages that it could not back up registry keys and values to the new folder and then at the end it finally gave me one big error message that read Access is denied

What do i do now

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I spotted the actual update you need to fix that somewhere in my wanderings today...let me see if I can't round it back up......

EmilyPam

EmilyPam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
one more thing? could i restore the computer to the manufacture's defaults? if i can how do i do that?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

could i restore the computer to the manufacture's defaults? if i can how do i do that?

You could probably do that, but you'd lose everything you've installed since getting the machine.

Let's try a few more things....

Click Start then Run then type sevices.msc and click "Ok". Find the Event Log service and right click to select it. Select "Properties". In the "Startup list", select "Automatic", verify that the Service is Started and click "Ok"

I'll be getting another one ready to do as soon as you finish this one.....

EmilyPam

EmilyPam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
yes it is started :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click Start and then Run and then type regsvr32 gmgr.dll (Note the space) and click "Ok".

Then Click Start then Run and type regsvr32 gmgrprxy.dll (again, note the space) and click "Ok".