Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RPC Server is unavailable

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yay!!!

Try this first....I've got to get my kids to school and run a couple errands so will be off for a while.

Click Start then Run...type sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /) and press "Enter". You will be asked for your installation cd, so have it handy. Wait for the scan to finish (this might take up to an hour). When it's finished, click Start then Run...type chkdsk /r /f (Again...note the spaces) and reboot when prompted (type Y and press Enter). This will run on boot-up so restart will take a while...be patient.

wannabe1

Advertisements

EmilyPam

EmilyPam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
I typed in the sfc /scannow and it's giving me this....

Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache
Please insert Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD now.

I am saving the service pack that you gave me to a disk right now using another computer to use, is that what they are asking for?

Edited by EmilyPam, 20 September 2005 - 09:11 AM.

EmilyPam

EmilyPam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
okay so that didnt work...i put the disk in and it says wrong cd!

Hmmmmmm....*bangs my head on the desk!*

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Don't hurt yourself now...Your operating system originally was XP SP1...what we need to do is uninstall the SP2 before we can use your disk.

Click Start then Control Panel and open Add/Remove Programs. At the top right there is a check box next to "Show Updates"...check that box and scroll down to "Service Pack 2" (it should be near the bottom of the list). Click on it and choose "Remove". Once it has been removed, restart you machine and try the scannow operation again.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 20 September 2005 - 10:09 AM.

EmilyPam

EmilyPam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
clicked on Show Updates and it's not listed, there are updates but SP@ is not in there

EmilyPam

EmilyPam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
clicked on Show Updates and it's not listed, there are updates but SP 2@ is not in there

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
This machine just doesn't want to say "yes" to anything, does it?

Click Start, click Run, type c:\windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$\spuninst\spuninst.exe in the "Open" box, and then click "Ok".

When the Windows XP Service Pack 2 Removal Wizard starts, click "Next" and follow the instructions on the screen to remove Windows XP SP2.

EmilyPam

EmilyPam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
i already tried that earlier.......would not let me got an error message that reads..... refers to a locations thats unavailable.....it could be on a harddrive on this computer or a network....

after that tried the restore thingy again...and nothing..it wouldn't let me!

:tazz:

Edited by EmilyPam, 20 September 2005 - 12:04 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
EmilyPam...Don't remember ever working with such a stubborn machine.. :tazz:

Try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's...if not available, try the following...

Try the recovery Console...

Insert the Windows XP CD in the CD drive, and then restart your computer.

Note: When you receive the following message, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD: Press any key to boot from CD

When you receive the Welcome to Setup message, press R to start the Recovery Console. Note: Multiple options will appear on the screen...Select the Windows XP installation in question. Note: You must select a number before you press ENTER, or the computer will restart. Typically, only the 1: C:\Windows selection is available.

If you are prompted to type an administrator password, do so. If you do not know the administrator password, press ENTER. (Typically, the password is blank.)

At the command prompt, type cd $ntservicepackuninstall$\spuninst, and then press ENTER. Note: After you complete this step, you cannot stop the removal process.

At the command prompt, type batch spuninst.txt, and then press ENTER. Note: The Spuninstal.txt file appears. As the file scrolls down, you will see errors and files being copied. This is normal behavior.

After Windows XP SP2 is removed, type exit, and then press ENTER.

Restart your computer in Safe Mode. To do this, press F8 as the computer restarts.
Note After you restart, the system may lock up with a black screen. (Your mouse will work.) In this case, restart again by turning the computer off and then back on. The second restart will let you to log on.

When your computer restarts, if Windows Explorer (Explorer.exe) does not run, and the Windows icons and the Start button are unavailable. To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
Press "CTRL+ALT+DEL" to start Task Manager.
Click "File", and then click "New Task" (Run...).
In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
Locate and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\RpcSs
On the right side of the viewing pane, right-click "ObjectName", click "Modify", type LocalSystem in the Value data box, and then click "OK".
Restart your computer

Edited by wannabe1, 20 September 2005 - 12:32 PM.

EmilyPam

EmilyPam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
*logging on to another computer to let you know what's going on* IT FINALLY let me do something, I click on the link you gave me and followed the instructions, right now it looks like it is re-installing WINDOWS but of course I know that it's repairing it....it is still doing it's installation stuff right now but damm it feels good cuz at least its doing something else besides tell me NO! lol!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
:tazz: :) This has been the most stubborn machine I have ever worked on. My kids don't say "No" to me that much!

Edited by wannabe1, 20 September 2005 - 02:26 PM.

EmilyPam

EmilyPam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Question? The computer has been running at what it look like the same place for the past 20 mins...should i be concerned?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Give it a while longer...if it still seems like it's hanging, shut the machine down and try it again. There must be something in that machine that is really out of whack to give us the grief it has. Be patient.... :tazz:

wannabe1

EmilyPam

EmilyPam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
okay its been bout an hour and nothing

i will shut it down in 10 mins of no movement

do u think it would be best to do a fresh install instead of repair?
this is too much of a hassle!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It's that or the Recovery Console at this point...Do you have any inportant files that you wish to keep on that machine...that would be the determining factor to me.

wannabe1