Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

errors when opening folders containing avi's

• Please log in to reply

skeeter395

skeeter395

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello I am new here and hoping you can help with a problem that I am having.
Every time I open a file containing avi's I get an error windows explorer has encountered a problem and must close if I am fast enough to get the file to windows media player befor the error then windows media player has the error and it closes. Some times following the windows eplorer error I get a Dr watson postmortem debuger error and it too has encountered a problem and must close. I have used the following programs: Ewido security suite, Trojan hunter, PC onpoint, Spy bot s&d,Cleanup40,cw shreader, Hijack this and then to be shure my anti viurs has not been compramised I ran Trend housecall. All of these programs have not solved my problem so it leads me to believe that my problem is not malware, Spyware, Virus, Trojan. Do you have any ideas as what I can do to fix this problem? thanks for any help you may be able to offer.

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Follow the steps below, carefully:
  • Download the attached avi_crash.zip file.
  • Extract all its contents. (i.e. avi_crash1.reg, back1.reg and avi_crash2.reg)
  • Double-click on the avi_crash1.reg file; to merge it with the registry.
  • Reboot PC.
  • If the crashing problem stops, you don't need to follow the rest of the steps.
    If you start getting new problems with opening AVI, double-click the back1.reg file; to restore back to previous setting and reboot. Then goto next Step 6.
    If the above fix still does'nt solve the problem, goto Step 6.
  • This step is to be only used, if the avi_crash1.reg has failed in some manner.
    Double-click the avi_crash2.reg, to merge it with the registry.

Attached Files

Edited by darth_ash, 19 September 2005 - 02:45 PM.

skeeter395

skeeter395

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the reply. I tryed your suggestion but it did not work. I am finding that only some of my avi files are not working. I am also notice since lastnight when I ran all of thoes programs I lost my windows xp theme it is set to windows clasic and that is all that I have. Thanks again for the help.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Unlike .mpgs which have only a few types, there are many kinds of .avi files. So there are many kinds of codecs and your players have to have access to them to work. You can download a little appy called GSpot, freeware about 1mb, and it will tell you what audio and video codecs you need.

skeeter395

skeeter395

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
that seemed to fix my avi problem but after I did a reboot my theme was changed to the clasic theme and I cant change it back to the windows xp theme. any ideas?

skeeter395

skeeter395

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I found the problem with the themes. the luna file that is sappose to be in the luna folder called luna.msstyle. I downloaded a new one and put it in there and all is solved. thanks for all your guys help.

truewraith

truewraith

• Pip
  • 4 posts
i also have this problem and it seems to be with avi files only, but this only started 1 week ago, so gonna try gspot thanks and will get back to u, or if anyone as anymore info thta be aesome.

truewraith

truewraith

• Pip
  • 4 posts
tried above, but still instant folder shutdown whn go into folder with avi's in it, never had this prob ever till now :tazz: