Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Home Edition, SP2 Email default

• Please log in to reply

FOXYGRANDMA

FOXYGRANDMA

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
I have Windows XP Home Edition, SP2 and IE 6, SP2. My ISP is AOL.

In Internet Options, Programs Tab, in the Email section, the only ones listed are Incredimail and Microsoft Outlook. How can I add Hot Mail and Yahoo Mail to it? They were both in it until a few weeks ago.. I would like to get both Incredimail and Microsoft Outlook out of there. I had uninstalled Incredimail.

When I go to File, in the Menu, and click Send, and either choose Page by Email or Link by Email, what opens is a small Microsoft Outlook box. A few of weeks ago, my Yahoo Mail compose box would come up, as I had selected it as my default email.

I have tried going to Add/Control, Set Program Access and Defaults, Custom (which I usually use). Under Choose a Default Email Program, there is just one selection – Use My Current Email Program, so I choose that one. But, still, only Microsoft Outlook appears in the Programs tab. (But now Incredimail does, too).

I have been to the Yahoo Help Menu about selecting it for the default email, and downloaded a small program, but it does no good.

Also, I have been to http://www.it-faq.pl/mskb/310/270.HTM – How to Add Items to the “Send to” Menu in Windows XP. That did not do the trick. Also did a restore to a date before this happened, but that did not do the trick either. Perhaps I did it wrong.

Does anyone know how I can get other emails back into the Tools, Internet Options, Programs, email section?

Thanks, Anna Ruth :tazz:

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Download the attached files. Unzip them and double-click on the .reg file; to merge with registry.
Close all currently opened Internet Explorer Windows.
Open IE and set it to Yahoo or Hotmail.

Attached Files

Edited by darth_ash, 19 September 2005 - 01:52 PM.

FOXYGRANDMA

FOXYGRANDMA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Well, tried once to send a thank you to you. Did not work. Will try again. What you sent, worked. Thanks so much. I tried both Hot Mail and Yahoo Mail when I went to File, Send. When I used Hot Mail I was sent to the compose page. When I tried Yahoo, I was sent to the Attachment page in Yahoo Mail. Guess I can work around that.

Incredimail and Microsoft Outlook are still in the Tools, Internet Options, Program, Email section. I had uninstalled Incredimail a couple of days ago from Add/Remove, and from Control Panel, Programs. I then went to regedit and saw it was in a Software area, so I deleted it. I notice it is still in (I think) Hkey_Classes_Root, there are 22 items that start with Incredi. A few of them are: IncrediAnimation.AnimationPlayer (two of these with one of them ending in 1); IncrediApp.IMTray; Incredi.UtilsAppSync; and a bunch more. Each of them has a twin that ends in 1.

If I were sure they belong to the Incredimail family, I would delete them, too, but I am not sure, and not that familiar with the registry. I do go there sometimes after I have uninstalled something, because even though I use Registry Mechanic, I see that stuff stays in the registry even though uninstalled properly.

Thank you, again, for your help. It is truly appreciated. :tazz:

FOXYGRANDMA

FOXYGRANDMA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
:tazz: Whoops! Not sure this message is gong in the right box. Well, anyway, Darth. I just restored my computer to September 2 as, for some reason, whenever I checked on any links, I would get taken right to the desktop. And, also, Tools, Internet Options,, Settings, the View Files and View Objects would not view. So, now that works okay. But now when I click on a link, nothing happens. :) So, I cannot open the links you gave me to add Hot Mail and Yahoo mail to the Tools, Internet Options, Programs, Email section. It is now blank. Oh, well, by doing the restore, I notice it took the 22 Incredi items out of the register. I knew some of the other restore points were not good, and that is whay I chose September 2, but I see it has its problems, too - by my not being able to open links. Anyway, how can I get the links to work so I can, once again, get Hot Mail and Yahoo Mail in the email area in the Programs section?

Oooooooh, do not whip me with a wet noodle, please. :)

Thanks,

Anna Ruth

FOXYGRANDMA

FOXYGRANDMA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Finally got it to work. Went back again to restore and did a date in August. Can now open links. Was able to use the Yahoo mail entry you gave me. Hot Mail is already in there, along with some others. Thanks again.

AnnaRuth