Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deciding on a new laptop

• Please log in to reply

lillyiggie

lillyiggie

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I am trying to find a good laptop that I can buy that is not real costly but can handle its [bleep]. I will more than likely not be playing games on it but I might and I want it to be fast. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

Justin

Justin

I do a little bit of everything

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Id go with a dell.

They have a good laptops and great customer service.

lillyiggie

lillyiggie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I dont know arent dell's slow? And what kind of dell laptop?

lillyiggie

lillyiggie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Justin

Justin

I do a little bit of everything

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
The best thing to do is go to dells website and look at there systems or build your own. That way you can pick everything that goes in it.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP

I dont know who told you that a new dell computer would be any slower than any other new computer, but you dont need them as a friend. They lie to you. Either that, or they talk about stuff and have no idea what they are talking about.

Justin has a good suggestion there, I also recommend Dell for price and quality. Especially with their laptops.

ScHwErV :tazz:

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
It is often not the computer itself but the afterservice, I will let others more knowing than myself choose the right computer for you but don't then go and buy it from grand surface however cheaper because the moment things go wrong you are just one clients in thousands, and what is worse is the person who sells the computer has nothing to do the person in afterservice even when hoping that that person is still around selling computers in the place when you return that is. No, I suggest getting all the details here and then finding the shop on the corner nearest to you where the guy has his lunch in your local bistro and sends his children to your school. etc.. btw I would like to thank a certain company for making great machines with end of the telephone, send us back the machine, wait weeks afterservice, nothing like having your vital stuff in a computer while it's sent off somewhere isn't it, so I will confess here that I don't know which are the best laptops but I do very much know which are the ones, and for what reasons then, certain types keep turning up at our shop.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Acer are good, dell and alienware are also good.

lillyiggie

lillyiggie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
What about Apple iBooks vs the reg. windows computers?

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Ibooks are stable, graphics are cool, and unlikely to have you paying for upgrades and anitiviruses.

Guse

Guse

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

alienware are also good.

View Post

Can I borrow some money? You've obviously got a lot to spare if you can even breathe the word "Alienware"...

As for Dells being slower, ScHwErV is right... a 3 GHZ processor is a 3 GHZ processor, regardless of what it's in.

I've had nothing but good experiences from Dell and HP. Both tech supports are helpful (though Dell's is better) and both seem to make good products.

IBM makes a decent laptop as well.

Guse

Guse

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

What about Apple iBooks vs the reg. windows computers?

View Post

You'll also run into the problem of having loads less compatible software.