Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Crazy Mouse

• Please log in to reply

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
I'm not sure which one exactly but there are a few places where you can remove checkmarks under Settings > Automation in Spybot S&D.

I have the Dutch version but I think the one you want is "No automation"

Regards,

Advertisements

Snwbrdr

Snwbrdr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
OK...But my mouse is still moving all over the place sometimes. That is my main problem.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Back to basics then.

In the Control Panel doubleclick Mouse and check the settings to see if they are correct for your mouse.
Maybe let us know which kind and type you have, since that may help as well.

Regards,

Snwbrdr

Snwbrdr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
All of my mouse settings are correct. My mouse is made by Dell and it is an optical mouse. Both of my mice have this proble, so I am fairly convinced that it is a hardware malfunction. The mice are connected via USB and are of standard type, three buttons, one on the wheel. Also under the hardware tab, it says that the device is functioning properly.

Edited by Snwbrdr, 30 September 2005 - 02:56 PM.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
You wouldnt happen to have a PS/2 mouse lying around somewhere you can try?

Regards,

Snwbrdr

Snwbrdr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
As in Playstation??? Then no.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
See screenshot for the differences. PS/2 is the "regular" way to connect a mouse.

Posted Image

Sometimes USB causes conflicts when other devices are in use, which is a possible explanation for the erratic movement.
For optical mouses (mice?) there is also the possibility that the underground is too rough or the "eye" needs cleaning.

Regards,

Snwbrdr

Snwbrdr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Alright, I do have a mouse like the one that you specified, unfortuanately I can't use it because the buttons are broken. I don't think it is the USB mouse because I have been using the USB ever since I got the computer and never had a problem. Also, when I plugged the PS/2 mouse in and restarted, mycomputer, as it was starting up restarted again by itself. Then when I got it on, it said the system has recovered from a serious error. I also got this "kernelfaultcheck" message from zonealarm. I clicked deny, and i got a whole bunch of these spybot pop-up things saying "registry changed denied."

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
First off all. It is not advisable to have all your security programs set to automatic when you are experiencing problems.
At some times it is better to take the decision making into yor own hands.

For example. You plug in a new device and XP recognizes it and wants to activate the correct driver.
Another program decides this is not an allowed action (new drivers could be malware in disguise) and blocks the install.

Your computer reboots in an attempt to rceover from the error and and initiates a kernelfaultcheck to create a diagnostic log.
Another program decides that the new startup is not an allowed action and tells you "something" is trying to alter your startups inb the registry.

Do you think I reconstructed what happened accurately?

On another line of thought. You stated you always have used the USB mouse without problems.
Can you pinpoint the moment it started acting weird?

Regards,

Snwbrdr

Snwbrdr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Yes, you did describe the situation correctly, as far as I can tell anyway.

As for where I got it is a pretty long story, or where I think I got it anyway. Alright. I am not sure if you are familiar with the game counter-strike:source. It is a computer game in which you shoot at other people or whatever. I was looking for hacks, which in this case are things that allow you to cheat in the game. They are like cheat codes, I guess. You can make walls invisible, or always get headshots. I had never used these hacks before and was looking for them. I didn't really know what to look for and couldn't find what I needed. I asked my friend who is good on a computer, but he doesn't really play computer games, but i figured he would know anyway. I told him that I was looking for hacks for counter strike. He told me to search for cracks instead, he said I would find more. So I did and it seemed like I had found a bunch of hacks. I downloaded this thing called like counter strike source patcher or something like that. I went to play the game and nothing was different, except my mouse was acting funny. Thats when I came to you. I would ask my friend, but seeing what his advice has done, I think that maybe he is not so good with a computer.

In the mean time I'll look for the link to the file for you.

Edited. Please be carefull where you post this kind of links

Thanks,
Snwbrdr

Edited by Metallica, 03 October 2005 - 12:00 PM.

Advertisements

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Yuck.

Hacks are cheat codes that alter the programming of the software to the users wishes (easier game-play or even harder for advanced players)
Often these are not allowed in the EULA of the software but condoned, since they have a habit of making games more popular.

Cracks are methods of using software without the (original CD) or even without buying the software at all. These are illegal and can only be found on "the dark side"

So what you downloaded and ran could have been anything from a trojan-dropper to a rootkit.

Since you are having problems with what appears to be a driver, I'm fearing the latter. You will have to get familiar with the options of the programs you are using in order to have any chance of success at removing a rootkit at all.

We'll start with the easiest to use Rootkit detector I know of.

Download and run Unhackme from: http://www.greatis.com/unhackme/
Let me know if and what it detects.

Regards,

Snwbrdr

Snwbrdr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Found Nothing.

I ran AVG Free and got this.

Posted Image

Edited by Snwbrdr, 02 October 2005 - 04:15 PM.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
OK. So your Java cache contains some infected files.

Close all browser windows (including explorer)

Start > Control Panel > Java Plug-In > Select the Cache Tab > click Clear.

That should get rid of those.

I'll edit your post, so the link to the infecting site doesn't get too may visitors. :tazz:

Just a double-check for rootkits:
Download RootkitRevealer from:
http://www.sysintern...itRevealer.html

Run it and post the log.

Regards,

Snwbrdr

Snwbrdr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I did the scan, it found some stuff. I didn't see like a fix problems button or a create-a-log kind oif thing, so here is a screenshot. Sorry if that makes it harder.

Posted Image

Thanks,
Snwbrdr

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Those look normal. Nothing to worry about anyway.

Can you unplug your mouse. Reboot the comnputer and then plug the mouse back in after the computer has fully booted.

You should get a notice about new hardware. If asked allow Windows to find the driver by itself.

Do allow the changes. :tazz:

Regards,