Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fixing corrupt sectors!

• Please log in to reply

Jezza

Jezza

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
I use a Seagate hdd 200gb model number: ST320082A.

I've been experiencing problems lately, such as lag and freezes, so I ran the seagate tools to check the disk. It found 5 corrupt clusters, each containing data, which I fixed using the tools (it writes 0's to the corrupt cluster to see if it's usable still).

It fixed the clusters, but I get certain warning messages when I start windows, about corrupt files, and to run CHKDSK utility because the file is corrupt and unreadable.

It doesn't run CHKDSK properly, because it always freezes when trying to deal with some corrupt cluster on c drive. I would appreciate any info you could give me about fixing this problem. I don't care if the data in the clusters are lost, just that it can become usable again.

Thanks.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Have you tried running scandisk under safe mode or command prompt?

Jezza

Jezza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
No, could you outline the proceedure please. Also what is a good registry repairer that could help me out?

THanks

sharlpero

sharlpero

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
To enter safe mode you need to press F8 button on your keyboard after you turn on the computer and before Windows began loading. List of boot variants will appear on the black screen and you will be able to choose mode for booting OS. Choose safe mode and try to run scandisk under it.

Jezza

Jezza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Ok, I cannot even load up safe mode. It just gets stuck loading up drivers. I cannot load safe mode with command prompt either.

When using CHKDSK it freezes at the point after saying 3 times:

Correcting error in index $I30 for file 29411.

This is step 2 of 5 for CHKDSK.

When ever I load up programs, I get these corrupt file messages, which don't actually stop the program from running, it just says it. Please help me.