Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HD is dead / Do i have hope / what HD reaper tools

• Please log in to reply

Waffa

Waffa

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Please excuse my boor English.

44 pin 2.5” to PC 40 pin IDE ( http://www.mycablesh...IDE4044_300.jpg ) internal and 2.5”/ 5.25" IDE to USB external kit (http://www.usbfirewi...sb-usb2ide.html ). I lose this green part ( needed for notebook hard drives) from last product & because I was to lazy to shutdown the computer to use internal kit, I take the first product, plug it to the notebook HD & then connect the USB IDE cable as it would connect to usual 5.25” drive, unfortunately, I did not pay attention & connected one of the connectors (or bought) wrong because they fit every way. It did not work.. so I try every possible combination, not thinking that this could damage hard drive - & surprise surprise – it did! Now when I installed notebook hard drive back – notebook did not even recognize hard drive from BIOS & like this would not be enough I did same thing whit next hard drive (first I thought that hard drive stop working on different reasons).

Anyway, I hope/think that only the electronic is screwed on HD, or could this totally erase everything I had on HD? How good are my chances that if I buy new similar hard drive – I get it up & running after I replace the electronic part? HD do not have any clicking sound or anything, just seems dead. One is IBM other one is Samsung
If I can not find exactly same HD, what are most important parameters besides shape I should look ( Size, cylinders, LBA etc)?
Do I need to set jumpers on 2.5” while I working whit IDE to USB adapter?

Because I do not have manual for eighter of them, I wonder what is the correct way to connect them, internal one have on one side “B” on left & Nr “1 ->” with arrow on right, other side of “B” I have “R”, and second tool USB IDE have just arrow on left & right & that’s all. How should I connect it??

I am tech @ my self, and I would be interested to buy hard drive reaper / recovery hard and software, and maybe training, what tools should I look for? I have huge box full of broken hard drives where I would like to try to fix / recover on training purposes.

Professional data recovery is way to expensive, but about how much my notebook HD reaper would cost me? I have there some documents I would like to get back, around 3-4 Gigs.

Thanks !

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
WEll replacing the electronics with an identical drive may work ( never done it myself though I know people who have ) it would need to be an identical drive or at least one with the same model/revision board.

AS far as recovering data... I have personally used getdataback by runtime systems. Very nice program. You download it for free and run a test to see what it can recover. then in order to recover you pay for the licence ( around $100US if I remember correctly )

You could also try pcinspector. I've heard good things about it but haven't used it myself. I believe it is freeware.

As far as good hard drive utility in general I've also heard good things about spinrite but never used that either.... today hard drives are so cheap we don't "fix" them and usually just use getdataback to recover stuff....

Good luck

Waffa

Waffa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank You

I will chek out the spinrite, but it's a software right? I was tring to look up datarecovery hardware tools but cant find any, just wonder how many tens of thousands they cost & what they look a like lol.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

WEll replacing the electronics with an identical drive may work ( never done it myself though I know people who have ) it would need to be an identical drive or at least one with the same model/revision board. 

AS far as recovering data...  I have personally used getdataback by runtime systems.  Very nice program.  You download it for free and run a test to see what it can recover.  then in order to recover you pay for the licence (  around $100US if I remember correctly )

You could also try pcinspector.  I've heard good things about it but haven't used it myself.    I believe it is freeware. 

As far as good hard drive utility in general I've also heard good things about spinrite but never used that either....  today hard drives are so cheap we don't "fix" them and usually just use getdataback to recover stuff....

Good luck

View Post

For that you are talking about a clean room and such.... couldn't help much there....