Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

follow-up questions to post 363865 and this site

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Julie_Anne

Julie_Anne

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Dear GreyKnight:

Thank you for your prompt and helpful response. Please forgive me, but before beginning the repair steps that you suggested,I have some questions.

First, is this the way to get THIS message to you? I note that I see that replies will not be answered. Consequently, I will ask the same questions in a new post in this forum, as well as in an e-mail to you. I do not mean to overwhelm you or this site with duplicate postings, but I am unfamiliar with forums and thus will utilize every option I can see.

When you say to unzip AboutBuster after I have downloaded it, let me ask you "unzip with what program?" Do I need to download Winzip to do this first step before I start it? If yes, where can I download Winzip for free and will the unzipping process then either be self-explanatory or included w/ the Winzip program?

Next, before I start ANY of the processes that you describe, please reassure me that I will not lose any data or any programs on my computer by doing the procedure you suggest. I do not have a copy of the Windows ME operating system disk and I therefore do not want to lose anything critical in the process of cleaning up this Trojan horse.

You give a long list of "script" about which you say, "check and fix in Hijack This." What do you mean? Does that information appear on the Hijack This screen when I open it after I have followed the procedures that you recommend? I can 'edit' this script directly on the screen of Hijack This, then? Do the strings of command need to be in the order that you have listed them?

When you say, run Trend Micro anti-vrus after doing the rest, what if I already have AVG anti-virus installed? Is AVG okay to use instead? Does Trend Micro have a conflict w/ AVG such that I would have to uninstall AVG and install Trend Micro instead? (I know that Panda has a conflict w/ AVG).

I thank you for your time and effort.

If it is at all possible, my preference would be an answer via e-mail to [email protected].
An answer in this forum is appreciated, too --- please tell me the easiest way to access this this thread (Post preview #363865 from 9/19/05).
Thank you so very much and please indicate to me how I might make a donation.

Very Truly Yours,

Julie Anne Foster

Advertisements

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Closing this thread as it is a duplicate post.

Please do not start new threads for the same problem. Instead, keep to your original thread. I see that Greyknight hasn't answered you since you posted a few hours ago. Please be patient, and keep in mind all of us are volunteers. We all have families/lives/jobs/school which must come first.
I promise you, greyknight will get back with you as soon as he can. :tazz: