Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP SP2 logo?

• Please log in to reply

seventiesdolly

seventiesdolly

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I've just bought a new pc with win xp sp2, norton internet security 2005, Outpost firewall and aol. Using outpost 'cos I couldn't get norton firewall to configure with aol (even though it did on my cranky old machine!).
Now, though my windows security logo has disappeared from my control panel! Why, and how can I get it back?!
(also, aol isn't registering outpost as being installed.....)

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
No offense, but AOL is junk and causes more harm to a machine then help. Actually AOL doesn't help anyone, besides maybe the tylenol and aspirin companies because of all the headaches it causes. I suggest you go with a different isp. And remember, SP2 comes with it's own firewall as well, so you don't need both norton's and window's firewalls on at the same time. No home user has anything that important on their machines to be that paranoid about anyways.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Actually now that I think about it you have 3 firewalls including Outpost. I suggest you drop all three firewalls and see how things go. Software firewalls are junk anyways because if anything reaches them then the intruder is already in your computer. A HARDWARE firewall is what you need.

seventiesdolly

seventiesdolly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I've got windows and norton firewalls shut off.

seventiesdolly

seventiesdolly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Tell me more about hardware firewalls please.
I'm paranoid about security because I was hacked into on my old pc and thousands of pounds worth of goods were put on my ebay account. I had months of aggro trying to sort everything out ending up with having to wipe the pc and start over. It's taken me ages to configure this new pc and download all the updates for windows and norton etc, so I don't relish the thought of it becoming contaminated and having to go through the whole process again!!
By the way, is there an easier way to get updates should future reinstalls be necessary other than spending hours on line without full protection - it's such a drag....