Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AMD vs. Intel, Pros/Cons

• Please log in to reply

nyspy

nyspy

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I know I'm opening a can of worms here, but here goes:

Almost every hardcore pc builder i speak with tells me to get an AMD processor rather than Intel when I build my first box. What they don't seem to agree on is, "why?"

I'm looking for facts that make one processor family superior to the other. "Intel sucks" is not quite enough information. Thanks.

Advertisements

customcomp

customcomp

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
erm intel sucks...BAD.

MANY would disagree with me here but i much more prefere Amd ive had 5 computers and i always use Amd and ive never had a problem yet (touch wood).

i no i havent real answred your question but...erm.....yeah get an Amd :tazz:

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
AMD Owneds Intel Sucks

09mlb86

09mlb86

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
well im my opinion instead of being totaly bias witch i am normaly i will give you some ups and downs of both.....

Intel:
high core speeds (if u get the Pet. 4)
fairly good reliability

AMD:
Faster FSB witch means it uses your RAM more Ef. so if u ha little RAM u should go with AMD
Rivals core speed (new AMD Athlon™ 64 FX ) of Intel but doesnt surpass it
just as reliable as intel

The Verdict:
Intel gives you the most prosesser speed so u can brag but when it comes down to it AMD has more than twice the FSB so AMD wins

Hope i helped

Edited by 09mlb86, 27 March 2006 - 03:55 PM.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Yeah first off, no offense but I won't take someones opinion seriously if they say they prefer AMD because "intel suxors"

Here's my take:

Intel:
-Faster core rates (and clearer, I don't like how AMD uses 3000 or 2400, but don't tell the actual speed)
-Better at running common apps (Word, email, explorer)

AMD:
-Read above
-Meant for gamers it seems, runs them very well

My opinion comes from experience with Intel and word of mouth from my friend's who use AMD's

Almost all things computer boil down to opinion and brand preference :whistling:

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well the AMD 64 bit processors are far better and more advanced than any of the intel p4 32-bits
but it depends what you will be using the computer for
i have an intel 531 3.0 Ghz proccesor and i play battlefield 2 with pretty high settings and it runs fine but my GFX card is crap so thast where the performance and graphics lack but really my intel is great!

people who have always used AMD will swear buy AMD but thats because they havent had an intel (maybe)

if you plan to run mulitmedia programs say like DVD editing the intels are far far better because of their raw clock rate,

it depends on what you want the computer for editing or games?
i was lookign at the AMD X2's when i was building my pc but decided to go with intel because they are better at DVD editing which is what i do even for burnign DVD's i think the intkes are better becuas ethey process the information quicker
but thats my opinion
troppo