Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Corrupt Desktop

• Please log in to reply

somebodyelse

somebodyelse

• Pip
  • 2 posts
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]I'm running XP home SP2, Kaspersky AV. MS firewall all through a Dlink broadband router. Desktop changes the icons in my Quick Launch taskbar, but the paths remain the same. All function correctly with the exception of Windows Explorer. Running explorer.exe from the command line doesn't work, either. My Computer does work, though. The Desktop now has the "folder tasks" list on the left side that cannot be removed. Neither MS antispyware, AdAware Kaspersky, nor Panda AV detect any malware. Hijack This looks clean, as does the application MSASW that performs the same function. I run lean with a minimum of startup stuff, hooks and other BHO's, etc. I suspect that explorer.exe is corrupt. Am I on the right track? If so, how do I repair it to the SP2 iteration?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try putting your xp cd in the drive and dong run > sfc /scannow

this should replace any corrupt system files

or you could try removing and reinstalling sp2

somebodyelse

somebodyelse

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
ran sfc / scannow and U and R sp2...no dice. Thanks for the advice, though. I'm going to try the url you have listed there.

Deus Ex Macaroni...LMAO!

My wife gotta kick outta that, too.

Thanx, T