Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Reboot

• Please log in to reply

DavidReno

DavidReno

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have had this ongoing problem since the begining of September. You can turn the computer on and everything works fine. The problem is intermittent, it can happen within minutes of being on or after hours. The computer will go totally blank (black screen) and reboot itself. This will continue to happen intermittently until the computer locks up in the reboot mode, all the computer, disk, and CD rom dirve lights are on an it is just frozen in that state. I have in the past just shut the main power off to the computer for a period of time and the process starts all over upon restart-up. I thought it was a power supply problem at the innitial onset and purchased a bettery powered backup and surge protection. This obviously did not solve the problem. I have taken it to the computer repair shop and they could not find anything wrong with the computer. Please help me with this problem anyone.

Thank you in advance.

David M. Reno

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go David.

I thought it was a power supply problem at the innitial onset and purchased a bettery powered backup and surge protection.

Have you tried replacing the power supply in the computer? Do you have another one to swap and test?

DavidReno

DavidReno

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Welcome to Geeks to Go David.

Have you tried replacing the power supply in the computer? Do you have another one to swap and test?

View Post

No I have not , as yet. Is it an inexspensive and easy part to replace? I will purchase a new one and try it. Would you recomend doing that, I have a a multi-meter, if you tell me what to test for, I could check it myself.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
It is inexpensive and an easy part to replace - I bought one for $40 at CompUSA.

DavidReno

DavidReno

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Anyone have another Idea what may be causing this reboot problem? I swapped out the internal power supply and the problem persists. I am at a loss on where to go form here. HELP ME ANYONE!!!!!!!!

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Although the repair shop could find nothing wrong, did they test the RAM
or swap it with new RAM just to test if that was the problem? I would confirm that the RAM is okay as the next step.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Great, free memory testing program: http://www.memtest86.com

Installation
===============
Memtest86 is a stand alone program that cannot be executed under windows and must
be loaded from a floppy disk.

To install Memtest86:
- Extract the files from the zip archive
- Open the directory where the files were extracted and click on "install.bat".
- The install program will prompt you for the floppy drive and also prompt you to
insert a blank floppy.
- To run Memtest86 leave the floppy in the drive and reboot.

NOTE: After the boot floppy has been created you will not be able to read the floppy
from windows. This is normal.

DavidReno

DavidReno

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
RAM WORKING GREAT. WHAT IS MY NEXT STEP, MOTHER BOARD ??????

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Do you get any error messages when it reboots? Have you checked the Event Logs?

DavidReno

DavidReno

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
No error messages. Once in a while I get the main message,"System was not shut down properly", with the countdown timer and options for restart. but it has been so frequent lately that I cannot even stay up long enough to check for problems.

DavidReno

DavidReno

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
The system reboots so frequently that you cannot begin to perform any functions, to investigate the problem.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
If you have broadband, try downloading Knoppix to a CD, and run your system from that. If it runs okay, then it's likely a software issue. If it continues crashing, then it's definitely hardware.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Change your settings so it will not reboot. On my W2000 box I go to start>settings>control panel>system>advanced>shutdown and recovery>

Uncheck: 'reboot on system failure'

You'll get a blue screen with an error message on it.