Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Display Settings Won't Work

• Please log in to reply

Staceface

Staceface

• Pip
  • 3 posts
One day (today, as a matter of fact) I just turned on my computer and it was 640x480 and only had 16colours... I went into Display Settings and changed it all back to 256colour and increased the screen size, but when I pressed "APPLY", the computer informed me that I would have to restart before these new settings would take place. I thought this rather odd, having changed screen size many times before, but I went with the flow and rebooted, only to find that...nothing had changed. There were a few other problems, too, like the mouse driver was suddenly missing (reinstalled that, so that's okay) and I was having an issue with a Rundll error popping up every time I started up the computer.
No matter what I try, I just can't get the colours and size to change! Please help me, the screen is really tiny and grainy and it makes it difficult to accomplish much of anything.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Staceface...Welcome to G2G!

Are you running Win98 or ME? We can try a couple of things to try to rectify this problem.
I do rather suspect malware is the culprit, though and would recommend that you go tho the Malware Forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the START HERE. That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

Let me know what OS you are running and we'll try a few things to try and get your screen resolution fixed up.

wannabe1

Staceface

Staceface

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have WindowsME.
...lucky me. *dies a little inside*
I'm testing out your malware theory AS WE SPEAK (er, write). I'll let you know how the exorcism goes.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Changes to the colour quality settings can require the reboot

Staceface

Staceface

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The reboot doesn't put the settings into effect though...
I tried all teh malware programs, but a lot of them weren't successfully compatible with WindowsMe. Now what?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

I would suggest re-installing your video card drivers.. They have a habit of becoming corrupted especially with the 9X/ME operating systems..

Also, where you go to change the screen size and colors, if you click on the "Advanced" option, you will have the option to "apply the new settings without a restart"..

Murray