Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstalling Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

zooman53

zooman53

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I recently started having problems with what I believe were some corrupted Window files on my pc. I decided to reinstall XP. However, I am unable to do so. After the computer boots from the Windows CD, it will install temporary files and permit me to partition my hard drive; but the program keeps stopping as it loads the Window files onto the hard drive. I get a message that it is unable to copy a file. If I hit "Esc" and try to continue, more and more files refuse to copy. Finally, it just stops and gives me a message telling me that it has exited the Set Up because of possible damage to my computer.

Anyone got a solution?

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

First thing I would try is cleaning both the cd and using a lense cleaner on the cd-rom drive..

Next, I would remove all un-necessary hardware - NIC, soundcard, modem, etc and try installing that way..

If you still have problems, I would be seeing if I could return my XP cd for a replacement as it may be corrupted!!

Murray

zooman53

zooman53

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I don't believe the problem is the CD because I had the same problem with another Windows CD that I had.

zooman53

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See if you can get the manufacturers drive set up / utility programme for your hard drive

Use Drive fill / write zeros to the drive, the full version takes hours but is worth it

If the drive is over 137 GB do not use the set up part of the programme

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

I don't believe the problem is the CD because I had the same problem with another Windows CD that I had.

zooman53

View Post

So, have you tried the other options given??

Murray

zooman53

zooman53

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
This is a new computer (1 month ) and I was able to load Windows prior to this problem. I have a disk with the drivers that came with it. I'll see if I can figure out how to load them. I have a feeling that this may be the problem because I the message that I get when everything stops says something about not recognizing the hardware.

zooman53