Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAW / 1 file

• Please log in to reply

mallaig

mallaig

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Prior to upgrading to Win xp I wrote all of my RAW photo files (canon) direct to cd for future use. Now I find that I cannot open these RAW files as they are not recognised by any programmme (photoshop cs with plugin and EOS viewer utility). When I look at the cd file details the RAW files are listed under "1 files", jpeg files written at the same time are accessible and unaltered. No file extention is attached to the RAW files. What has happened to these files during the writing process and how can I access them?

Advertisements

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Hello,

Have you tried copying the RAW image files to your hard drive? Also, what happens if you take one of the extension-less RAW files and manually use rename to add a ".raw" to the end and try opening then?

Also, there is a very popular free image viewing program called "Irfanview" that supports viewing RAW files with a free plugin. I would recommend trying that as well to see if the images are corrupted or not.
Link to download irfanview: http://www.irfanview...wnload_engl.htm

Link to download RAW image plugin: http://www.irfanview.com/plugins.htm

Cheers,
Tom

Prior to upgrading to Win xp I wrote all of my RAW photo files (canon) direct to cd for future use. Now I find that I cannot open these RAW files as they are not recognised by any programmme (photoshop cs with plugin and EOS viewer utility). When I look at the cd file details the RAW files are listed under "1 files", jpeg files written at the same time are accessible and unaltered. No file extention is attached to the RAW files. What has happened to these files during the writing process and how can I access them?

View Post

Edited by gust0208, 21 September 2005 - 05:34 PM.

mallaig

mallaig

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply. I tried the fixes that were suggested but none worked. I think the problem could be when I copied the files to cd I had both RAW and jpeg of the same image. To differentiate between them I added .1 to the Raw file name. This is probably the origin of the 1 file designation. I tried adding CR2 to the file name without success. What can I do to access these files.

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Hello,

How large are your RAW image files? Would there be one you could email me and see if I am able to open or access it at all? Were the raw image files originally *.CR2 files?

Cheers,
tom

Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply. I tried the fixes that were suggested but none worked. I think the problem could be when I copied the files to cd I had both RAW and jpeg of the same image. To differentiate between them I added .1 to the Raw file name. This is probably the origin of the 1 file designation. I tried adding CR2 to the file name without success. What can I do to access these files.

View Post

mallaig

mallaig

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Tom,
Thanks for your help so far. The files were originally .CR2 files before I screwed them up! The files are 8 MB, if you are up for a challenge I can send you one.
Graham.

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
I am up to the challenge! :tazz: I will send you a private message with my email address and you can send it as an attachment, I am pretty sure I can get up to 10Mb attachments.

Cheers,
Tom

Hi Tom,
Thanks for your help so far. The files were originally .CR2 files before I screwed them up! The files are 8 MB, if you are up for a challenge I can send you one.
      Graham.

View Post

mallaig

mallaig

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Tom,
I have sent you one of the files. Thanks.
Graham.

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Hello Graham,

I sent you this same information in a reply email, but wanted to put it up here in case anyone else has the same problem.

1) Download and install Irfanview
- http://www.irfanview...wnload_engl.htm
2) Download and install Irfanview plugins (use the one large exe file versio)
- http://www.irfanview.com/plugins.htm
3) Copy all of the picture files to you hard drive
4) Rename them with a "*.cr2" file extension.
e.g. You sent me the file "something.1", I renamed it to be "something.cr2".
5) Run Irfanview, go to open file window and browse to directory with your cr2 files. Now, on the drop-down list for "Files of Type", you must choose the option that says "CRW/CR2 - Canon CRW Files" and then you will be able to open your photos! You can even use Irfanview to save the files in any image format you would like.

To make all of your CR2 files open automatically with Irfanview, right click on a CR2 file and select the "Opens with" option and choose Irfanview. Voila!

Cheers,
Tom