Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP register

• Please log in to reply

tdats

tdats

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
hi guys hi had to buy windows xp pro :)

well anyways installed it, and computer works, but its saying i have to regster windows. Do i have to??

If YES then
i will need my cd key right. Well i think i lost my cd and the case what had the cd key in it :tazz: what can i do, my friend told me that if i go to my computer and right click properies it will be , well a number was there is that the cd key??

If NO
thanks for the :)

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
tdats...

You won't need your cd key...that requirement was satisfied when you installed the os.

Click Start and point to All Programs then to Accessories then to System Tools and click on "Activate Windows". You'll need to be online when you do this. It's painless! :tazz:

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 21 September 2005 - 07:48 PM.

tdats

tdats

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
thanks for the help, but when i clicked start and went through those options it wasnt there to activate windows.

so i clicked on the keys icon near the clock, on the bar. Anyways then it said i had to activate windows but i didnt have to register it, i didnt want to. But now i have this screen when i followed a couple of steps to activate windows

Posted Image

Edited by tdats, 21 September 2005 - 08:01 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Download Majic Jelly Bean and run it for your cd key.

wannabe1

tdats

tdats

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Download Majic Jelly Bean and run it for your cd key.

wannabe1

View Post

thanks for the help. I dowloaded the magical jelly bean and ran it, sure enough if found the cd key. But when i put in the numbers in the cd screen (^^^ see pic in above post) i get back to the same screen thast above and its saying that this product key is unauthorized. What the... i clearly bough windows and its not some bootleg version. What happens if i dont activate windows will i still be a ble to use my computer? :tazz: :) :)

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

What happens if i dont activate windows will i still be a ble to use my computer?  :tazz:  :)  :)

View Post

Howdy:

In 30 days it will quit working until you activate it..

Suggest you use the option to phone Microsoft to activate!!

Murray

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Yes, just phone and you will get some guy in India with a western sounding name like "Sam" or "Bill" (where do they get all these Indian folks with western names?)

This problem is becoming ridiculously common...I have opened two CDs from shrink-wrapped packages and had the same unauthorized message come up.

Just stay calm, explain that this OS was installed only one machine and they will give you a new machine

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
where did you get the version of xp that you installed?

tdats

tdats

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

where did you get the version of xp that you installed?

View Post

thanks for the interest guys.

To answer your question i got it online, the website was www.agsolutionspc.com

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
just checking to make sure you had a legal copy...

Advertisements

tdats

tdats

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

just checking to make sure you  had a legal copy...

View Post

yes i do, i have the receipt form the website.

So anyways finally called today the 1888 571 2048 phone number and go the automated voice message, the computer gave me a long number that i told the machine, litteraly like 50 numbers, then it took like 5 minutes and it said i should returnt he copy of windows that i had. What the... :tazz: :) :) :) :) what to do now? 7 days left!!!!!!!!!

tdats

tdats

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
anyone any other suggestions or points??? please

tdats

tdats

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
4 days left :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
fyi--The number I called is the same one displayed by windows when the number doesn't match or there is a problem with the authentication server.

the computer gave me a long number that i told the machine, litteraly like 50 numbers

Did you put those numbers in the box? The code they give you is quite lengthy, but if you follow the instructions it will work. What I get is that it gave you a code, and then told you to return it?

You may want to contact the reseller and relate this and have them send you a new cd

tdats

tdats

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

fyi--The number I called is the same one displayed by windows when the number doesn't match or there is a problem with the authentication server.
Did you put those numbers in the box? The code they give you is quite lengthy, but if you follow the instructions it will work. What I get is that it gave you a code, and then told you to return it?

You may want to contact the reseller and relate this and have them send you a new cd

View Post

ok, here is what i did just a couple seconds ago.

-called the phone number 716 871 2929
- an automated machine answered the phone and asked me what i wanted to register windows xp
- i said yes, it asked if i had the screen open to register on my computer
- i said yes then the machine said to read of the Istalation ID wich was a really long number broken into 9 parts with about 6 numbers in each part, that was on my computer screen.
- i read the entire thing in sections
- once i finished the automated machine on the other side of the phone took about 1 minute and said that my Instalation ID was invalid, and it was not a valid product, to either reinstall or return the product.
- and then diconnected me from the phone :tazz: