Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Missing

• Please log in to reply

powlaz

powlaz

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I never had this happen actually. I put the drive (jumpers on all drives in proper position) in a Win2k and a WinXP PC as a slave. The drive shows up in the bios, and the Device Manager. On the WinXP pc the 'Found New Hardware' balloon pops up to notify me of the addition of the drive.

But it's nowhere to be found in Windows Explorer. Also not visible in the Disk Management tool.

Drive is from a coworker. It was causing him a problem and I told him I'd run an antivirus scan and disk diagnostic to see if the drive was bad. It should be as it was when he removed it from his PC. Or . . . he might have formatted it.

Why won't it show up in Windows Explorer? I appreciate the suggestions.

Thanks,

Matt

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
My experience with installing a new hard drive in XP is that you have to wait for TWO found new hardware alerts to pop up before it will show in My Computer.

powlaz

powlaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thank you. However I didn't get the 2nd notice and my Win2k machine also didn't find show the drive in Explorer so I really need some guidance with why and how to fix it.

Thanks again,

Matt