Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Windows will come up on my Computer - HELP!

• Please log in to reply

timlovesfaith

timlovesfaith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
nope, nothing :tazz:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
timlovesfaith

Can you navigate to This Site? If so, download it, install it, and try surfing to a few sites...won't work for the updates, though. Just trying something... :tazz:

wannabe1

timlovesfaith

timlovesfaith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
ok, I did that. Firefox lets me read Microsoft Windows page. Haha! Where do i go to download the updates?

timlovesfaith

timlovesfaith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
(be back on monday!)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
timlovesfaith...

Go HERE using the Firefox browser and download the IE6 SP1...save it to disk. Close all open applications and double click on the downloaded file to install it. Restart your computer when prompted and then try the Windows Update site again... :tazz:...using IE6.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 14 October 2005 - 02:04 PM.

timlovesfaith

timlovesfaith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Hi,

Ok, i did that, restarted comp, but the windows page is still not coming up on IE6.

I tried it on firefox and got this:

"Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.

To use this site, you must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 or later.

To upgrade to the latest version of the browser, go to the Internet Explorer Downloads website." :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi timlovesfaith...

Lets try clearing the cookies...

In Internet Explorer, Click "Tools" on the toolbar then "Internet Options"...Under the "General" tab, click the "Delete Cookies" button and then the "Delete Files..." button. Under the "Privacy" tab clear the "Block Pop Ups" check box and/or click the "Settings" button and in the "Filter Level" drop down menu, choose the "Low" setting. Click "Close" to exit the Settings window...Apply the changes and click "Ok".

Try the update again...

wannabe1

timlovesfaith

timlovesfaith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Nope :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click Start, point to Settings, and choose Control Panel. Open Add/Remove Programs...scroll down to and select Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 SP1 and Internet Tools and click the Add/Remove button. You will get an "Internet 6 and Internet Tools" dialog box. Put a tick in the radio button next to "Repair Internet Explorer" (while here, see if the option to "Restore the previous Windows configuration" is available) and click "Ok". In the next dialog box, click "Ok". When the repair is complete, Click "Yes" to restart your computer.

You know the drill, timlovesfaith...give it a try.

wannabe1

timlovesfaith

timlovesfaith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
"Restore the Previous Windows Configurations" is available.

After it started repairing the files, it says "Internet Explorer could not be repaired. Please run Setup again to re-install components."

Edited by timlovesfaith, 18 October 2005 - 09:58 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
A-Ha!

A corrupt IE6 install! :tazz:

Go back to the repair feature and choose the "Restore the Previous Windows Configurations" option. This will roll it back to the old version of IE. Then try going to the Microsoft site and download IE6 again. Fingers are crossed....

wannabe1

timlovesfaith

timlovesfaith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Alright.
After I clicked add/remove programs, hit to restore, then went through that process, it restarted. Then, when it was doing the updates, it said "Advanced INF Installer: Error Creating ,C:\WINDOWS/SYSTEM/IE4UINIT.EXE/U.. The system cannot be found. Click Ok." So, I clicked ok, then my computer screen switched to the previous problem I had before. It switched my screen to 16 color 640 x 480. When I right click on desktop, properties, then go to the Settings tab and try to change it, I will change it, restart my computer, and it will still be the 16 color 640 x 480 :tazz:

Anyways, So I went to The Microsoft page, installed the IE 6 and went through everything, restarted my computer, updated the microsoft registry. The only problem is my computer is in 16 color 640 x 480, so I cannot see if there is any change on my IE. :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
timlovesfaith...

You were able to update??? :tazz: That's great! Give me a few minutes to research the display problem...I'll get back to you shortly.

wannabe1

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi timlovesfaith

Download and install these Drivers and reboot.

wannabe1

timlovesfaith

timlovesfaith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Hi,
I was going to edit my previous post, but the board was down for a little while.
I restarted my computer and the settings went back to normal. I went into IE and everything is FIXED!!! :tazz: FINALLY!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!
HaHa!
The only problem I have now is, everytime I boot my computer there is a box that comes up that says, "Setup needs to reboot your machine. Do you want to reboot now Yes No" It has been doing that for a few months now. I will click yes and it will reboot and come up again. It is so strange.
Any thoughts?