Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

borelpro/dmcd1394

• Please log in to reply

whoelsewould

whoelsewould

• Pip
  • 1 posts
It was time to upgrade anyway, but the only thing we have left is the processor and some of the cards. Hopefully we can retrieve all the files from our iTunes, they were on the secondary drive. I'm going to have my brother-in-law do that for us.

Here's the story, I was surfing one afternoon and went to a website in my bookmarks. It took forever to load. There was an awful flash banner ad. Suddenly my Antivir starts screaming that I'm under attack and some garbage keeps trying to install itself. I couldn't keep up with the pop-ups. I've never seen anything like it. For the next five days we were constantly running scans, adaware, removing garbage programs from the program list.

A key folder that kept appearing in the windows/system directory was called borelpro. The file that was always running was dmcd1394.exe. Boot up in safe mode, delete the directory, run adaware, scan for viruses, we were ok for a few hours then it would start again. If you opened the task manager you could watch one process after another opening as fast as we could end them. Popups were opening as fast as we could close them, and if the modem was off they'd open as about:blank.

Then before we could get the help we needed we rebooted to the blue screen of death.

If you google borelpro or dmcd1394 you get nothing. Surely I'm not alone here. Are these random names created by some monster program? Since this beast is now on the loose are the people at Norton, AVG, and Antivir able to contain it? What can I do to help the community at large? This is one evil [bleep] of a menace!

Advertisements