Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Was freezing UP now Really messed UP! HELP!

• Please log in to reply

zacsmom

zacsmom

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok, I had the ancient Windows 98 1st edition on my IBM Pentium II. I had comcast high speeed DSL technician out to install internet. He told me that they dont support 98 1st ed. So I needed to upgrade for the modem to be registered. That visit cost me $49.00. Anyway..he disabled running programs in my taskbar. I'm not very computer savy...I can get around and I can guess what to do....however my guesses this time have completely screwed things up. So, after he disabled everything in my task bar...the computer was freezing after x amount of actions. CNtrl alt delete would not work. I had to unplug to even shut down. I had windows 2000 installed. It was still freezing up. I got my modem registered and was able to get onto the net and perform about 10 actions then it would freeze. So this is where I really screwed it up. I went into configusafe (?) because I rememberd that was a running program on my task bar. So I went back to the snapshot when the computer was running fine...however....because this was for 95/98...it went back to it and locked up and when I restarted the computer...it gives me and error saying that I have a missing or corrupt file (part of the name is config..i'm not at home right now and cant remember entire error. Anyway, it says that I can attempt to repair by installing the original 2000 disk and hit "r" on the fist screen. I dont know which first screen that is. I did change the setup to boot from CD first and then i put in the 2000 cd and it went thru the setup then asked if i wanted to install it. I did not want to do that as I have several pictures on my harddrive that I do not want to dump. So I exited without installing for fear of losing it all. Please help me!!! i dont know what to do! :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

the process is the same as with xp

follow this guide, and yes, you select install new--and then it will give you the option of repairing

ankush patel

ankush patel

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
what a mess!

have you tried going on in safe mode.

continuously hit f7

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ankush.....safe mode is usually accessed by pressing f8...but i doubt safe mode will help as a 98 restore point was used inside of 2000...usually not a good thing...follow gerry's instructions...it should at least get you up and working