Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Newbie needs help with first build!

• Please log in to reply

drummergirl96

drummergirl96

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm a newbie and excited to learn from anyone willing to share knowledge! I plan to order my parts soon and have narrowed down the major pieces as I've listed below, wondered if you could give an opinion on my selections and make suggestions if something doesnt look alright. Also looking for imput on the case I have chosen http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811125460 . Since this is my first build I also have no idea what other misc. parts and items I should be getting (fans, cooling devices, cords, misc parts, blue lights for my clear sided case :tazz: ). If you don't mind I've love some insight on what else I should be buying.

Case: Chenming 301KEBL-O-AW Blue Aluminum ATX mid tower
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811125460
PSU: ePOWER Puma II EP-450XP-P2B ATX12V 450W Power Supply
100-120V AC/200-240V AC UL, CE, CB, FCC - Retail
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 1 GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core
Processor
Motherboard: ASUS A8N-E ATX AMD Motherboard
Hard Drive: (2) Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB 3"5 SATA 3.0Gb/s
or (2) HITACHI Deskstar T7K250 0A31636 250GB 7200 RPM
8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS
Video Card: eVGA GeForce 6800 256-P2-N383-TX
RAM: OCZ Performance 2 GB (2 x 1 GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Dual
Channel Kit
LCD: Acer AL1914SM-8 19in LCD Monitor w/Speakers (Silver) Retail
DVD-RW: Sony DW-Q28A-B2 Internal Double Layer DVD±RW
or LITE-ON Black IDE DVD Burner Model SOHW-1693S Black
Card Reader: LINKSKEY LKA-CR15B 19-in-1 USB 2.0Card Reader/Writer
Speakers: Logitech X-530 70 Watts 5.1 Speaker - Retail
or RealWorld Technology Sicuro RW-360XL Blue Techno Lighting
360° “Surround Sound” Gaming Speakers
OS: Microsoft Windows XP Professional X64 Edition 1 package - OEM
Keyboard/Mouse: Thermaltake A2211 Xaser III Keyboard & Mouse
(wireless)

There are a few places where I said or cause I'm still a little up in the air on a couple items. Have had recommendations from people for a few things and not sure what is best so if you have an opinion on those items I would love to hear it! I'm hoping to order all my stuff tonight so I'm earnestly seeking opinions on current selections and what other parts and accessories I will need. I am ordering some of my parts through zipzoomfly.com and some from newegg.com. Can't wait to get started but I want to make sure I get everything I need to begin with! Thanks.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
For the monitor look into the samsung syncmaster better monitor cheaper price if that acer you ivked is the one i think it is(16ms response or something).
I would be wary of the winows xp pro 64 edition its full of bugs and its driver support isnt great(needs seperate drivers normal xp ones dont work).
Post up a link for the motherboard so i can check the specs i cant remeber the asus model nos. and specs of the top of my head. You might want to think a DFI board for the overclocking potential as the 3800+X2 is apparently one of the best overclocking chips made.

I have never heard of epower it sounds like a generic brand, dont get a generic psu by a well known high quality PSU, enermax antec ultra etc.
Same goes for the cases actually make sure the case has a pair of 120mm fans and put features over looks, you will soon get bored of the way it looks but having a good HD mount system and no sharp edges is much better to have than a window. (mine has both so im happy with mine)

drummergirl96

drummergirl96

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Well this is an update of where I am at with my specs:
Updated Computer Specs

Case: Chenming 601AE ATX Blue Alum. Mid Tower Case
http://www.digiconce...ng_cases_11.htm
PSU: ePOWER Puma II EP-450XP-P2B ATX12V 450W Power Supply 100-120V AC/200-240V AC UL, CE, CB, FCC - Retail
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400 Socket 939 DualCore Processor
Motherboard: ECS KN1 Extreme mother board http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813135175
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB 3"5 SATA 3.0Gb/s and Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive and Western Digital Raptor WD360GD 36.7GB 10,000 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS
Video Card: eVGA GeForce 6800 256-P2-N383-TX
RAM: gigaram 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) DUAL CHANNEL System Memory
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820221133
LCD: Acer AL1914SM-8 19in LCD Monitor w/Speakers (Silver)
DVD-RW: Plextor PX-716SA 16X Internal Serial ATA Dual Layer DVD±R/RW CD-R/RW Drive
Speakers: SiCURO RW-670XL BL 125W 5.1 Speakers
OS: Microsoft Windows XP Professional X64 Edition 1 package - OEM
Keyboard: Saitek PZ30AU Black USB Wired Standard Eclipse Keyboard
Mouse: Optorite ML101 2-Tone 6x Buttons + 1x Hot-Button Buttons 1x Wheel USB Optical Optical Laser Mouse

There are links to the Case (similar to the original but a little larger), the motherboard (diff fro the original, not planning to overclock either), and the RAM. What is wrong with windows XP prof 64? A friend that builds computers recommended it and he hasn't had any probelms. What would you suggest instead and what will the differences be? Could you send a link to the monitor you are refering to? Also is it analog only or digital also? Is the video card alright or do I need the 6800GT? Some have suggested to me that I switch to the 6800GT, but haven't told me why and its much more expensive. What's the diffrence and is this one good enough? what else do I need besides what I have listed above?

Josiah_Fordahl

Josiah_Fordahl

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
i would be wary about x64 too! it doesnt have all the drivers for most manufacturers... and the new microsoft os is coming out in like 6 months so it would be a better decision in my opinion to wait for that... ( cuz it wont have as many holes) i would reccomend xp pro just until the new one comes out... but thats just me.. :tazz: good luck..

- Josiah