Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recovering Files

• Please log in to reply

BXVeTeRaN

BXVeTeRaN

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey whats up guys well basically like the title says im trying to get some files off an old Hd that i have. Now usually i wouldnt care but i have alot of programs and documents that i just realized i need off that hard drive so basically heres the problem. The harddrive has ntfs on it so i did what i always do in this situation and i hooked it up to my current computer and tried to do the change ownership on the drive. Now usually this works for me with any other drive, pretty much 10 out 10 if it has ntfs on it. Well what happens when i run that is i get an I/O error on the drive and im assuming its because this little black piece that says 22 25v - + and looks like a very little black square fell off the drive. So my last resort was to run a knoppix cd which im not very familiar with linux but i know that i would be able to view my files with it. Well sure enough when i run the cd i am able to see all of my files on the ntfs drive. So i guess the only thing i can think of in this situaion is if anyone can help me get the files of the hard drive using knoppix. Im sure there is a way but i dont want to use any captive driverrs seeing as how i read that is very experimental. The only 2 ways i could think of getting the files off would be to use my dvd burner in knoppix or by setting up a samba server. Both of these are things i dont have any clue on how to do but if im pointed to a good tutorial im sure i can get it going. Well any help is really appreciated and also if there are any other ways to get my files out of this ntfs drive, please let me know. Thanx for ur help guys. :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
http://www.shockfami...cedric/knoppix/

Look above, focussing on section 3.7

Game_Freak

Game_Freak

banned

• Banned