Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Yellow exclamations marks in devise manager

• Please log in to reply

Tomy

Tomy

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I am new here so firstly hello to all,
My problem is that i am trying to get an older pc to work as a spare one, its up and running but have run into a couple of snags that i don't understand.

If i go into Device manager, i get 2 yellow exclamation marks, 1- is the PCI simple communications controller & the other - video controller [vga compatable ]
I've had trouble trying to get the modem to work as well, probably i guess because those two above are not working properly, i don't know much about computers, but willing to learn.
The PC is telling me to search the internet to fix those problems but of course the modem not working, so could some one please explain whats going on and what i should do to fix it.
any help is really appreciated,
thanks
Tomy

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You'll have to find the make and model of the modem, if need be take it out and look at it if it is a card. Then use another computer to go to the makers website, or a driver website, and download the drivers to a floppy. Sometimes the drivers are too large to fit on a floppy, depending on the type of installation you may be able to find drivers for your particualr OS that will fit. After you have the modem working you can usually use the web and Google to find the other drivers that you need.

For others doing this the easisest procedure is to go into device manager before reinstalling and find the modem/NIC information and download the drivers. Of course if the OS isn't working this doesn't apply.

Edited by Tyger, 22 September 2005 - 07:58 PM.

Tomy

Tomy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok, thanks Tyger, i will give that a shot,
many thanks,
Tomy

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

What make and model is it?

As Tyger suggested you just need the drivers for the vga and modem, you may be able to goto the computer manufactuers website on another computer and download the drivers then burn them to cd or copy them to floppy depending on the size of the file then run the disk to install on the old computer.

You could also purchase a new modem they are pretty cheap and get the machine on the net to download the drivers directly to the computer to be installed on. This sometimes can be easier.

Rick

Tomy

Tomy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi,

What make and model is it?

As Tyger suggested you just need the drivers for the vga and modem, you may be able to goto the computer manufactuers website on another computer and download the drivers then burn them to cd or copy them to floppy depending on the size of the file then run the disk to install on the old computer.

You could also purchase a new modem they are pretty cheap and get the machine on the net to download the drivers directly to the computer to be installed on. This sometimes can be easier.

Rick

View Post

Thanks Rick,
I have another more newer modem and its driver disc, so i will install it and try to search for those needed drivers, the pc is an old one, made up from bits and pieces sorta, the mobo is appolla pro plus, cpu 733 mhz, pent 3, its only for a backup pc, just in case.
Thanks for your suggestions as well, all info is greatfully recieved.
thanks
Tomy

Tomy

Tomy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Thanks Rick,
I have another more newer modem and its driver disc, so i will install it and try to search for those needed drivers, the pc is an old one, made up from bits and pieces sorta, the mobo is appolla pro plus, cpu 733 mhz, pent 3, its only for a backup pc, just in case.
Thanks for your suggestions as well, all info is greatfully recieved.
thanks
Tomy

View Post

Hi, back again, modem installed and working good, but i am having trouble trying to find the driver for the Video controller, i went back to device manager and done a search, but unfortunatly it didn't come up with anything.
Can someone help please ? i have this info from device details, if its any help, PCI\VEN _53333 & DEV_8A13 & SUBSYS_ 8A135333 & REV_ 02\3 & 27528C43 & 0 & 0008.
thanks
Tomy

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
The best bet in order to find drivers for the video card is to take it out and google any identifiers. Try the FCC ID code if there's nothing else.

For a stab in the dark you could download omnibus drivers from the major video chipset manufacturers, for example http://www.nvidia.co...ers/drivers.asp and grab the GeoForce drivers appropriate for your OS. They should only install if it detects a supported card, note that I'm not guarenteeing this, you might have to reboot in safe mode and uninstall the drivers

Tomy

Tomy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok, thanks i will give that try.
Tomy