Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

audio trouble

• Please log in to reply

avail07

avail07

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I know i posted a similar post a month or so ago but,,,,,didn't fix the problem. :) When I hit F1, nothing happened. F10 and delete put me into system setup. Is this the same as BIOS? I would like to figure this out and get some sound out of this thing!!
:tazz:
I suspect the onboard audio went out. I went to Micro Center and bought a prowler 4.1 DSP PCI audio card by mad dog multimedia. After installing the card and loading the software, it still doesn't work. How do I disable the onboard audio so the new card will work??

BTW, my original post was 2 AUG 2005.

specs for my pc: desktop
compaq presario, 5000US
750 Mhz AMD duron
30 GB hard drive
cd-rom
dvd-rw
floppy
192MB ram
DSL

Thanks again for your help! :)

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Tapping the delete key as the PC Boots is the usual way of entering system / BIOS set up, then it is a case of looking through the screens for onboard sound

When you have turned the onboard sound off, press F10 to save and exit then type Y to confirm then press enter to reboot

avail07

avail07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Keith, thanks for the suggestion, but it didn't help much. It just sends me into the system setup and not into BIOS. Is this the same thing?? If it is, there is nothing in there for the system audio but does reconize the PCI card for the audio card. Anything else I could possibly do?? :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
System / BIOS set up, so you have the correct place

Download Everest Home here

http://www.lavalys.h...p?pid=1&lang=en

Run it then click + next to computer then summary, look on right at multimedia / audio adapter to see what is listed

Click start then right click my computer, properties, hardware, device manager, click + next to sound, video, game controllers to check it says the same as Everest, and that there are no exclamation marks

Look at the manufacturer's site to see if there are updated drivers for the soundcard

avail07

avail07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks Keith, I'll try that and see if it works. You guys are great!