Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unpartitioning Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

Streuth!

Streuth!

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi again,

Our old computer has a partitioned hard drive. Drive C (2Gb) contains the OS and program software. Drive Z (55Gb) contained all our data that we recently removed and placed on our new machine.

We would now like to combine the two partitioned drives into a single drive ©. Our OS is Windows 2000.

Can anyone please tell us the procedures to follow to recombine the hard drive into a single drive.

As always, I appreciate the assistance your moderators provide. I look forward to hearing from someone, somewhere at their convenience.

Kind regards,
JSK

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
The best way to combine partitions is useing Partition Magic, it dose a great job when I use it. There is no simple way, you have to use a program of some sort and that is the best that I have found. It is simple to use and has a wizard for combineing partitons which makes this task very easy. And no I not 15 and not imployed to advartise it.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Do you have your 2000 disk ?
can you afford to loose all info on the drive?

Streuth!

Streuth!

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi,

Thanks for the replies, Michael Buckley and peterm!

I am currently downloading a demo version of Partition Magic. Hopefully the demo version allows me to at least merge the partitions.

We do have the original Win 2000 disk. We have already cleared out the Z(55Gb) drive but would ideally like to avoid doing the same to the C(2Gb) drive as it contains all the programs stored on the machine.

I will try Partition Magic as recommended and keep you posted.

Thank you once again for all you help.

Kind regards,
Jess

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

Hi,

I am currently downloading a demo version of Partition Magic. Hopefully the demo version allows me to at least merge the partitions.

Kind regards,
Jess

View Post

Howdy:

The Demo version won't do anything at all.. You will need to purchase the full version..

Murray

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts

Howdy:

The Demo version won't do anything at all..  You will need to purchase the full version..

Murray

View Post

Sadly that is true, you will have to buy the full program. But the demo is good for learning how to use it because it can affect your computer.

Hope this helps Streuth!

Streuth!

Streuth!

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi Guys,

Thanks ... learnt that the hardway! Anyway, before I buy the full version, I have checked out some more information and was wondering if you could tell me if unpartitioning is even possible.

Drive C (2Gb) containing the OS and other software is an NTFS type primary, status is active.

Drive D (55Gb) now empty and unassigned is an "other" type primary, no status and referred to by Partition Magic as "dynamic disk".

I know some partitions cannot be merged but as I am not very fimiliar with the terms and descriptions, does anything I have mentioned above suggest incompatability or is that not an issue.

Thanks once again for your tireless responses.

Regards,
Jess

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
You will have not problems that I can think of. The only partitions that you can not combine are ext2 and ext3 to other partitions, and you would not have them because they are only used by Linux.