Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

compatibility of McAffee Virus scan with ZoneAlarm

• Please log in to reply

J_A

J_A

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
hey guys,

I have the possibility to dl the McAffee Virus Scan from my uni, but I use ZoneAlarm and MSN Messenger a lot. On the Windows XP System, does anyone know if these programs will be compatible with each other or will I start having trouble if I install the VS?

I have had some trouble with ZA and MSNMess earlier but I sorted that out by adjusting some settings in the ZA. Now, since these would be two anti-virus softwares, what is your opinion on this?

i.e. keep ZA only, unistall ZA and just keep VS, or should both together not be a problem?

Advertisements

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts

Now, since these would be two anti-virus softwares, what is your opinion on this?

unless your using the ZA AV feature (which, if I recall correctly, is only available in ZA pro), ZA is only a firewall. If you have ZA pro with the AV then don't install mcaffee. You only need one AV, if you have two of them it can cause serious issues. Two AV's on the same machine don't play well together.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
also as long as its just mcafee antivirus then your ok. if its mcafee av and security center then I wouldn't do it.

J_A

J_A

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
yeah I do have ZA with firewall, spyware and antivirus protection. the McAffee is just the VirusScan, as far as I know, version 7.1.0.

so the bottom line is, ZA should be secure enough and don't mess with MA?

next question is, which is better? McAffee or ZA? if I were to keep just one of them. any experience with that?

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
IMO, neither are better then the other, thats why I use Kerio firewall with AVG AV. AVG updates daily and scans daily, Kerio is more configurable then ZA.

Mcaffee is like Norton in my opinion. both should be classified as viruses, and they are both resource hogs. on average both of them have anywhere from 3 ot 5 different processes running at one time constantly, if you kill the process, it just comes back on its own. Plus if you want to uninstall them, thats a whole other nightmare.

J_A

J_A

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
thanks mate :tazz:. I guess I'll just stick to what I've got for now.