Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Control pamel

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

tomatojay

tomatojay

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
OK I'm having a few problems here. I have a Dell that it looks like it had Win XP Pro installed on it. I would guess Pro did not come on it new. Now it was brought to me to clean viruses and spyware.

I ran avg, adaware, spybot, cleaner, ewido, hyjackthis, cleaned the startup, and used system mechanic pro to clean junk files and uninstall programs that wouldn't.

Now that the computer is clean there must have been a few if not more system files that were infected. Because I can't open the control panel. Everytime I try and open it, I don't get an error or anything. Just the whole desktop reloads. all the startup programs reload.

I'm not sure what to do. I can't do the /scanonce thing becuase I don't have the OS disk from the customer.

Edited by tomatojay, 23 September 2005 - 08:39 AM.

Advertisements

tomatojay

tomatojay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
even when i try and open the "control" app in the sys32 folder. it just reloads the desktop.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
put the xp cd in the drive and do start > run > sfc /scannow

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Do you have an xp pro cd you can use to follow dsenette's advice?

Johanna

tomatojay

tomatojay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I would if I had access to the XP pro disk, but I don't. the only disk I have is a XP MCE disk and that won't work. I've tried.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
johanna > do you know off hand if that file would be located in sp2? if so....
tomato > does this machine have sp2? if so you may be able to find the file in the i386 folder

tomatojay

tomatojay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Oh why would anyone think this computer has SP2 on it. lol Most customer computer that I see aren't SP2, they don't even know what that is.

It is clean from spyware and viruses, I guess I could go online and try to do a win update. Hopefully that works.

tomatojay

tomatojay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
HAHAHA well Looks like I have to call the customer.

All bets are off Im not going to even try and fix this anymore. Windows failed the Validation.

Thanks anyways for the help.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i wonder why they didn't send their windows disk with the machine when they sent it to you...hehhehe

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > run
control.exe
<enter>

7 out of 10 times, the reason that this occurs is a bad browser extension in IE....you need to visit the malware forum

tomatojay

tomatojay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
whats even better....she knew that its a illegil copy of XP. Looks like shes going to be getting more spyware and viruses soon. Expecially without the windows updates.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
well, given that info, we cannot continue to help with this machine (I know that doesn't help you any, but we cannot offer help for pirated software).