Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Registry issue revisited

• Please log in to reply

Hornet

Hornet

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Recently my machine has become somewhat unreliable.
I started using a couple of registry scanners to fix the problems (PC Pitstop Optimiser and WinASO Registry Optimizer) but I just keep getting the same ones come back time and time again.

Various programs will not launch correctly unless I run the optimizer and the reboot.

The 4 most common registry issues are,

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion\ Internet Settings \ Cache \ Paths \ path1

path2, path3 & path4

I did see a thread with someone who was having the same issue but the tread died before we reached a conclusion.

Many thanks

Hornet

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that would appear to be a problem that would only affect IE browsing...what programs do not function.

As a quick try, open IE, then TOOLS > INTERNET OPTIONS > then click the DELETE FILES button

I am not too crazy about registry cleaners/optimizers and would prefer a better explanation.

Have you been using any aggressive internet cache cleaners, while we're on the subject?

Hornet

Hornet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Many thanks for your prompt reply.

You make a lot of sense.

I use Firefox almost exclusively so if there was a problem with IE I probably wouldn’t realise.

The other registry issue that appears every day and has now been promoted to my No1 main suspect is an “invalid typelib entry”

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TYPELIB\{FB155F93-5761-4D21-BA96-0C2E45F8DCC8}\

If I remove this entry all seems fine on the next reboot but it keeps coming back.

I think the PC Pitstop Optimizer is pretty aggressive but in truth this is based on my opinion rather than based in fact.
The cleaning cycle it undertakes is,
Recycle bin.
Internet Cache
Temporary files
An internet optimizer that never runs as my connection is pretty fast
Scan for invalid CLSIDs
Scan for invalid ProgIDs
Scan for invalid TypeLibs
Scan for invalid Interfaces