Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AutoComplete Forms will NOT clear in IE 6

• Please log in to reply

espokane

espokane

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I know how to clear AutoComplete forms the normal way. I can do it successfully on my other PCs, but my work laptop refuses to clear them. I'm not talking about URL history - it's form fields such as the search field at dictionary.com, etc. Clicking once in some Web page fields brings up a long list of historical entries. I would like to clear them as I occasionally use my machine for shared presentations, and don't necessarily want "grilled skirt steak" to appear on the screen, etc. I would edit the registry if I could, but have been unable find any information about this specific problem.

When I try to clear the normal way via Explorer, the app locks up and the CPU pegs at 100% usage until I ctrl+alt+del and kill the application. I tried downloading a history freeware app (Tracks Eraser), but that also freezes up upon attempting to clear the IE forms cache. (In fact, that app froze up so thoroughly that I had to do a hard reboot.)

I tried going to C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\HISTORY to delete the index.bat file, but there is no index.bat file there. The machine runs WinXP Pro SP1, and I have admin rights.

Maybe there's some sort of enterprise app blocking me, but I don't recall having problems in the past. I know that at one time there was a bug in IE that made this happen, and I was able to find a back door fix, but not so today. HELP!

Thanks in advance,
Eric in Spokane

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. Try running Cleanup. Here is a link for dowload
http://home.comcast....anup/index.html
This is from the Malware Removal Guide. I use it myself regularly. It does an excellent job.