Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fickle Startups

• Please log in to reply

harshnoggin99

harshnoggin99

• Pip
  • 3 posts
This is surely not a novel problem, but I have never encountered it before.
I have a slightly refurbished Dell L433c (new HDD, sound card, memory) running
XP. It starts and shuts down normally several times, but will inexplicably refuse to start at other times. The power switch glows, but there is no fan noise, no hard drive noise, and no beep codes. I shut off the switch and pulled the power cord from the UPS and plugged into the wall and the box switched on fine. I tried to get the machine to repeat the problem with no luck. After many startup/shutdowns, I pulled the power cord from the wall and reinserted it into the UPS. This resulted in a startup without depressing the case switch. I again tried to get the problem to repeat with no success. It happens when it wants to. If anyone has some insight , ayudame, por favor.
-Harshnoggin

Advertisements

harshnoggin99

harshnoggin99

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The cause of the Fickle Startups ended up being the power supply. We replaced it and the problem did not recur.
-Harshnoggin