Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help on my wireless network.

• Please log in to reply

MaMister

MaMister

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
I have setup a wireless network inside my friends car show room. It is a shop surrounded by glass panels and a classic car parking in the middle.

My problem is that sometime my pc show signal very good but sometime can scanning for half an hour without locating the router(which is on the other end of the room about 25 metres apart).

My friend say change the wireless adaptor to a better one, but I doubt so is the adaptor fault.

Why is it so? Is it that the signal is absorb away somehow?

How can I improve the linking? Will it help if I shift the router to a higher place like on top on a cupboard?

Any suggestion welcome and thanks very much.

Advertisements

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Hey MaMister, Welcome to G2G

What is the Make/Model of your wireless router?. The environment you describe has plenty of sources of Multipath Interference(Metal, glass). Also physical obstacles (walls, cars) can degrade radio signals. Keep in mind that other devices can cause additional interference as well(cordless phones, microwaves..) so, you want to make sure the router you are using has 2 antennas. Also try to place your router in the center of the room if possible, thereby limiting the distances and obstacles between the computer and the router from anywhere in the room.

Edited by brianmil0923, 24 September 2005 - 12:19 AM.

turquer

turquer

• Pip
  • 8 posts
try to put an another access point at the other side of the show room to strenghten the signal field. Or mounting it on to the ceiling maybe (but it is related to the room shape, if possible) i think

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
First you need to check out the following Link!

Next the WRT54G is not a VPN end device, so you CANNOT create an end-to-end VPN using only it. The WRT54G supports VPN pass-thru which simply means, if you have to connect to a corporate VPN, this tunnel connection will pass thru your routers firewall.

You can try to create VPN connection in XP to each others computer, the problem there is you have to use your external (public) IP address (the one you are assigned by your ISP) not the 192.168.x.x. Most ISPs DO NOT GIVE OUT STATIC IP ADDRESSES, so if you have this configured great, depending on the DHCP lease (the amount of time before the DHCP server assigns you a new IP address), your VPN will break every 2-3 days or so.

MaMister

MaMister

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Thanks, i am using Aztech DSL600EW router (http://www.aztech.com.sg/Alan.htm) and netgear WG311 pci wireless adaptor.

Also, how can I add the other access point? Don't think this router can do it?