Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"advanced" look-up

• Please log in to reply

aj_grass

aj_grass

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I'm looking for a find formula in Excel which I can't find myself. I wonder if anyone can help with the following:

I have a table of data, each colum is a name of a place (like LA, NY, etc...) and the data in each colum is a name of a person. I'm expecting not to place the same person in more than one location.

in a different place in the work-sheet I have a list of persons' names and I want to find what is their location.

So in general, I want to find in what colum a value is stored in a whole table, assuming it's shown only once.
"match" only works on an array, i.e. 1-dimentional table, which is not what I need.

Is there a way to do this? a formula I mean. Is there an add-in to Excel that has this formula?

Advertisements

aj_grass

aj_grass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Never mind. The matter is resolved now.
i found out i can write a custom function in VBA.