Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Default (recommended) install of FreeBSD

• Please log in to reply

linuxwannabee

linuxwannabee

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
:tazz: Having selected all the simplest, recommended default options of installing FreeBSD v 5.4 and using the entire hard drive for the install; upon rebooting I am presented with a logon and password prompt.

This is very, very annoying - are alternative systems specifically aimed at tech-head/geeks only, and not for the rest of us?!

At least the YAST program in all the major linux distro's I've seen to date, make it obvious that you are creating a user account as part of the process.

I saw no such info during the FreeBSD install, so what on earth am I supposed to enter at the login/password prompt.

I'm really wanted to give alt. OSes a spin, but confess - despite what everybody say's about Microsoft - at least it bleedin' works!

:) Dave B - Linuxwannabee

Advertisements

linuxwannabee

linuxwannabee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
:P 41 Views and not a single reply yet.

:woot: Perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree with FreeBSD as a credible alternative to Windows for non-geeks?

:woot: Surely somebody knows something about FreeBSD - seems crazy to me that a default install should present me with a log-in to which I have no idea how to respond to.

:) Any suggestions, other than give it up and come back to Windows -- greatly appreciated.

:tazz: Meanwhile, guess I'll plough through the 'handbook' I printed out from the FreeBSD web site - over 500 pages long ... I'd hate to see what their idea of a reference book is, probably break the coffee table!

:woot: Dave B - Linuxwannabee

linuxwannabee

linuxwannabee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
:P 41 Views and not a single reply yet.

:woot: Perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree with FreeBSD as a credible alternative to Windows for non-geeks?

:woot: Surely somebody knows something about FreeBSD - seems crazy to me that a default install should present me with a log-in to which I have no idea how to respond to.

:) Any suggestions, other than give it up and come back to Windows -- greatly appreciated.

:tazz: Meanwhile, guess I'll plough through the 'handbook' I printed out from the FreeBSD web site - over 500 pages long ... I'd hate to see what their idea of a reference book is, probably break the coffee table!

:woot: Dave B - Linuxwannabee

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I'm about to try out freeBSD on a small machine I have. I had similar problems with a version of Suse 7.0 I had, it wouldn't install the password so I couldn't log in to the system on reboot.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try putting in root with no password

BuRnEr

BuRnEr

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
i am little bit unfamiliar person in here but i read many problems on the web, i dont actually use unix much but i know unix bitbitbit,

in your question if you did not specify any password during the installation, after done everything and when you first boot unix after hardware checking,... freeBSD prompts you to login: and just type "root" if there is no password you specifyed your system starts,
so that means all unix os must have one root "super-user" and it always created defaultly when u installing unix.... again it is root, controls everything.....

i guess little bit helps you
take care
BuRnEr

linuxwannabee

linuxwannabee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
:) :woot: Hi, Many thanks to Tyger and Burner for their suggestions.

I will try this assuming I have the courage to install it on to my laptop - I no longer have access to the desktop pc I installed BSD onto!

Your tip seems obvious I guess for 'folks in the know', hope to be able to proceed with my BSD foray soon :tazz:

Tyger - I had Suse Linux 7 also, using the YAST2 installer (graphical), but even using the non-graphical YAST installer, it was quite clear to me that I was being asked to create an account - missing in the default install of BSD.

Thanks guys - Dave B, Linuxwannabee