Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can Firefox run through MSN Messenger?

• Please log in to reply

manchal

manchal

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
When opening my Hotmail inbox or visiting a link posted through MSN Messenger, the program automatically runs Internet Explorer.
Is there a way of converting this so MSN will open Firefox instead?

I know that the weaknesses of IE are much more susceptible to interception and spyware/trojans, and try to avoid using it (plus I actually prefer the interface of Firefox anyway);
Does anyone know if this idea is possible?

Thanks for looking.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
If this is happening even though FF is set as your default browser, you're going to have to live with it I'm afraid --- when this happens it's a sign that the IE executable (iexplorer.exe) has been hard-coded into the link and can't be changed without some serious reverse-engineering, for which you you would need access to the code, even assuming you knew what to do. It's been a source of annoyance ever since real alternative web-browsers became available. Same thing happens with web-page links in Outlook/Outlook Express --- you can bet your bottom dollar Microsoft intended it to work like that!

manchal

manchal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Cheers pip - yeah, I'm sure its completely intentional; just wasn't sure whether anyone had discovered a way to override this without too much difficulty.

It's a shame though, FF feels a lot more intuitive now and doesn't give me any cause for concern (whereas I recently had the displeasure of living with a trojan and two worms thanks to IE). Hmm, I wonder how much more authoritarian and controlling Vista is going to be... :tazz:

DaGeekz

DaGeekz

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Post removed. Do NOT discuss things such as cracks on this site.

Edited by ~Kat~, 26 September 2005 - 03:07 AM.