Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

install / uninstall

• Please log in to reply

customcomp

customcomp

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
ok, i had hl2 and CS:S and HL:DM and all that stuff, then valve released a new update that screwed eveything up.

so i tryed to uninstall everything but i got a error msg so i just deleted the installation files.

but when i got to reinstall it it thinks its till there so i cant reinstall.

PLEASE HELP ME.

Advertisements

customcomp

customcomp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
ok ive decided to just reformat my computer.

but my hdd has been partioned so if i just reformat my C drive with that erase the D as well.

and once i have reformated is it as easy as just putting in your windows cd and it installs.

and how long will all this take?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
It's not necessarily as easy and putting in the Cd and installing windows. putting windows on your computer is that easy, but making sure everything works correctly afterwards can be a little bit more tricky. You can install windows, but if you have any problems, like you can't get the sound to work or your display settings are all screwed up, then post back in here and we will help you.

As for your question about whether or not it will delete what is on D:, the answer is NO, All the data will be lost ONLY on the drive that you install windows on, which in this case is the C drive. Installing windows takes about 15-60 minutes depending on the speed of the machine it's being installed on. I have a AMD 3000+ with a gig of ram and it takes about 15-18 minutes. Just follow the onscreen prompts and you shoudl be fine. Just make sure that when the window appears to set the time that you double check the TIME ZONE, because all windows cd's use PACIFIC TIME as the default time zone.

Good luck, and post back in here any problems that occur.

Fenor