Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how to restore itunes from xternal harddrive

• Please log in to reply

harmonys

harmonys

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I store my itunes music library on my external harddrive, but I could see that it was also still on my pc harddrive and my pc is getting so ssslllooowww. So I triplechecked to make sure ALL my music was on my external harddrive, then went into "my music" and deleted all itunes files. Now my itunes library is showing as empty even though all the music is still on the connected external hd. I guess I deleted some other drivers or something even though the itunes program is opening as normal, but doesn't show any music in library or any of my playlists. How do I restore what I managed to erase without getting gunked up with all the duplicate music files on my pc harddrive? Please help!

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I am in no way an itunes expert, but somewhere in the drop down menu you should see preferences or options. Within that section, look for something storage, or maybe advanced settings.

Within that, look for something called Music Folder location, or maybe Itunes Music location, or Itunes storage location, and see if you can change the location

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
In Preferences, under the Advanced tab, make sure that the box label "Copy file to iTunes folder when adding to library" is NOT checked.
When that box is checked, anything you play using iTunes is added to your computer's hard drive, in the \My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music folder.
After you have changed the setting, you will have to add all the files to your library again.

Edit: After looking in iTunes again, I noticed that you can change the location of your iTunes music folder. You might want to try that as well, especially if you want iTunes to keep your library organized.

-Ryan

Edited by rmurphy, 26 September 2005 - 11:40 AM.