Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CleanUp! and System Restore

• Please log in to reply

HelpNeeded911

HelpNeeded911

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
In order to remove spyware, adware, viruses, etc., I downloaded and used the CleanUp! utility mentioned on here in the "start here first" section. The program deleted approximately 300 MB from this computer, and I received Windows error messages following this. The error message would not disappear and it kept stating that original system files were missing and that I should reinstall the files. I ran system restore to a previous point and upon restarting, my computer is acting quite odd. The Start Menu is no longer visible. The icons in the taskbar are distorted. Internet Explorer and other programs do not have visible menu options, etc. I already tried undoing the previous restore and everything. In addition, I receive error messages when trying to run certain programs...

Advertisements

OwNt

OwNt

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 7,457 posts
Could you give us an example of the error message(s) please? Do you have a windows xp cd? If so you will most likely be able to use it to get the files back. I'd recommend doing a windows xp repair if you could, but I'd rather get that spyware off first. Do you have a current hijackthis log in the malwhere removal forum?

HelpNeeded911

HelpNeeded911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Please disregard my post. I've been up for the past couple of hours... and I finally solved the issue, with some help. I had to do some manual work in safe mood. But thanks!

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
HelpNeeded911, welcome to geeks to go

Share your experience. Other folks are having similar problems. And if it was something stupid that you did, dont worry about it, its just us geeks here and we wont tell anyone :)

We all make mistakes. I made one in 1959. I thought I was wrong, but I was actually right. How embarassing :tazz:

Best regards,

EMCguy

HelpNeeded911

HelpNeeded911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Hey! Me...? Make a stupid mistake? :tazz: Nooo.. just kidding. Well, I used the CleanUp! program as I had before (as instructed on the website) on my computer and one of my aunt's. Well, I tried the process again on another aunt's Windows XP laptop. Afterwards, the start menu, option menus, and other required tools had been wiped out. The system restore feature seemed to take this back even further. I kept experimenting, which seemed to make it worst... but I was determined to fix the problem. The problem actually took me countless times rebooting in safe mood and doing a little research using the advice in the forums. I would not recommend this type of experimenting, but I have had some computer experience... so I knew what not to do. Well, thanks you guys! *BIG HUG* :)