Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DblClicked Applications start with WordPad(?)

• Please log in to reply

gdubau

gdubau

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Norton detected adware but was unable to delete them. I went through their removal process for apropos and it went away. I renamed the others (cal3dmod.exe, carosoft.exe, eltupt.exe, nsvs.dll, nsvsvc.exe, picsvr.exe) and rebooted to see if things worked without them. I then noticed 3 things: 1) at srartup I had 21 WordPad windows opened instead of starting the programs, 2) any dbl-clich or right-click/open I did opened the appl with WordPad, and, 3) my browser was switched to Netscape.
I've reset all renamed programs but there's no change.

I typically run Mozilla Firefox, but now IE is all that will start. I noticed limeware on my desktop, which was probably loaded by another family user.

I can get Firefox going by getting an "open with" on an existing file and working past the error.

How do I get my apps to run? and remove whatever infection exists??

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Follow the steps:

1) Click Start, Run and type Command (not same cmd, cmd won't run because it is an exe; Command is a com file)

Type the following and then press Enter after typing each one:
cd\windows
copy regedit.exe regedit.com (again as .exe wont work we are make a .com copy)
regedit.com

2) Navigate to and select the following key:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ exefile \ shell \ open \ command
Double-click the (Default) value in the right pane
Delete the current value data, and then type:
"%1" %* [with quotes]
(ie., quote-percent-one-quote-space-percent-asterisk.)

3) Navigate to:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe
In the right-pane, set (default) to exefile.

4) Now .exe should be working. But, U might still have a trojan which caused the problem in the first place. Run a Virus Scan.
If U need help removing the trojan go to the Malware Removal Forum.

gdubau

gdubau

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks, darth-ash. The default settings were already set at "%1" %* and at exefile...but under the .exe folder is a sub folder named "PersistentHandler". The data value for its default is {098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}.

This doesn't seem right to me and WordPad still opens my apps.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Download the the attached exe.zip file and unzip it.
Double-click on the exe.reg file to merge with registry.

Attached Files

• Attached File  exe.zip   790bytes   226 downloads

gdubau

gdubau

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The registry update has been unzipped and merged. I re-booted and still no change. Was there anything further to be done with that? What's my next step?

Thanks.

gdubau

gdubau

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Wondering if you have a next step? I can run Mozilla from my desktop by shift+rclick and using run as my basic account, but my applications still go to WordPad. I can't execute a backup or restore.

gdubau

gdubau

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
darth_ash- When unzipped I only had the exe.reg file. Were there 4 other downloaded files included? I'm only able to start some applications by using the "run as" option of the right-click on some programs (mozilla) but mainly still directed to wordpad. What would you suggest as my next option? Thanks