Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Device Manager not listing COM port

• Please log in to reply

AuntTara

AuntTara

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Modem did work a few months ago, but since using Cable Modem have not had the chance to use. However, went to use fax machine & was getting error. I have tested the modem and it's fine, but then I found in the device manager, that it's not even listing the COM port - only LPT1. I think that's the problem, but don't know how to fix. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Try going into the CONTROL PANEL and double-clicking on ADD NEW HARDWARE and see if it will detect the COM ports for you.

AuntTara

AuntTara

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
That did not work. I also tried to ADD a port, which it did - COM4, but it didn't work. When I tried to change it to COM3(which the modem denotes it's using) I get the message that it's already in use. When I do a diagnositic and query the modem, it says the port could not be opened - this may be a hardware conflict. However, I checked all that & there is no conflict that I can see. I can't seem to figure out why it's not being recognized. Still need assistance if you can provide. Thank you

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Try uninstalling and then reinstalling your modem.

Edited by Fenor, 27 September 2005 - 08:06 PM.

AuntTara

AuntTara

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Still doesn't recognize the port. After doing a 'query' on the modem, I viewed the log & it notes the following:
09-28-2005 10:23:15.719 - Opening the modem device failed with error 000005aa

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Windows XP will not list the com port typically since it is a virtual port....resintall the modem driver

AuntTara

AuntTara

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Re-installed driver - Still get same error message as noted above.

Banyula

Banyula

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have exactly the same problem since SP2 was installed. I dont want to roll back to the previous SP1, so I wonder if you found a solution to this.