Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hard drive install

• Please log in to reply

titan7342

titan7342

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
ok last problem on my first build. I can't wait to get playing around with my new CPU. Ok so here is the problem. I have a 250Gb hard drive but when I install windows XP the size I am getting is 127.99 Gb. What am I doind wrong?

Edited by titan7342, 26 September 2005 - 11:16 PM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Install sp2.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also update your bios....your mobo may have shipped with an old version

titan7342

titan7342

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
ok guys well thanks for the help but still I have had no luck. I checked the BIOS and it is current I updated to SP2 but still no luck. Do you guys have any other suggestions? This is killing me.

thehumpster

thehumpster

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I had a kind of similar problem after I formatted a 400 gig external drive in XP and only just a little more than half showed up in Windows Explorer as available. Just for fun I ran Norton Disk Dr (my main system has System Works 2005 on it) and it found a format error and asked if I wanted it fixed. Since I had nothing to lose anyway I said yes and bingo a couple of seconds later, the drive showed up with all its space available.

titan7342

titan7342

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Well I don't have Norton system works but I did try to run disk check within windows and that didn't help. I am losing my mind trying to figure this out. I have been working on it for 2 days now and still got nowhere.

thehumpster

thehumpster

• Pip
  • 8 posts
When you check properties of your 250 Gb disk thats only shows as a 127.99 Gb disk, what is the free space and the used space numbers?

thehumpster

thehumpster

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Lastly, use SP's Disk Management to see if the whole drive shows up. If not, probably a BIOS or MB problem. Also sign up at Expert Exchange to see the following thread about the same problem:
http://www.experts-e...6.html#13034206

titan7342

titan7342

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
ok I checked Dick management and I can see that 127.99 GB being used and that 104.89 GB are seen but are unallocated, so now how do I get that unallocated amount to merge with the allocated amount to give me the full 250GB

titan7342

titan7342

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Actually I found a program called partion manager but it is $50 and the free trial of course will not let me extend the partion. Is there any other software that you can recommend and that is either cheaper or free to extend the partion?

Advertisements

thehumpster

thehumpster

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Again, I recommend you check that link I posted to Experts Exchange for a pretty good discussion on this topic. Other than that, I buy Norton System Works from Costco, usually $59.00 with a $29.00 rebate. You get a years worth of updates of a good antivirus program from a pretty good company as well as a bunch of utilities (including DiskDoctor) for your money. I also purchase Norton's Ghost 2003 from www.newegg.com for $14.99 which is the one of the most stable programs for imaging once you have things working well. With the rebate, both cost you less than the $50.00 and when the [bleep] hits the fan, nothing works better than having the right software. Personally I'm not a great fan of Symantec, but I look at anti virus software like car insurance, I don't like paying for it, I hope to never need it, I don't like dealing with the companies that sell it, but I just can't convince myself not to have it, I just have to much to protect. Again, visit that Expert Exchange link and good luck.

thehumpster

thehumpster

• Pip
  • 8 posts
And if you are truly just dealing with an XP partition limitation issue and don't want to spend any money on Partion Magic or other software, visit the Microsoft website and try there fix. Again, this comes from the Experts Exchange website I posted last night:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325590

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you can also use the partition tools on the UBCD for windows

http://dsenette.geek...D4Windows24.iso <---burn this as a bootable iso image cd and boot from it

titan7342

titan7342

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
do I boot from it before or after Windows is installed? Also, what exactly is this that I am booting too?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you would boot to the ubcd cd before installing windows, you can use te partition tools that it includes to resize the disk or whatever ou need to do...then you would boot to your windows cd