Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Star wars knights of the old republic

• Please log in to reply

Dedrivudd

Dedrivudd

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Okay so here's the deal, my friend installed Star wars knights of the old republic on his pc. Then he "unistalled" it.. or if I would say it corretly deleted it. he went to the file and pressed right click and pressed delete and delted the whole file and then he deleted it from trash bin... So now he wants to play it again so when he start to install it starts installing but then a error message comes and some really long url.. So how can he fix this. How can he install the game again.. or unistall it all..

Edited by Dedrivudd, 27 September 2005 - 08:25 AM.

Advertisements

Dedrivudd

Dedrivudd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
not spamming...

so here is the message he gets

Error! unistall encountered an Error and cannot proceed..

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...your friend screwed up....by just deleting the executable he basically made it extremely difficult to uninstall the program...which is what it's trying to do when you insert the cd...basically it knows that the program was installed and assumes you want to uninstall it...but because it cannot find the file.....it can't uninstall it....he's gonna have to go into his registry and get rid of some stuff....i'm not so hot with registry stuff so just sit tight and someone will come make some suggestions...and tell your friend to always use add remove programs or the supplied uninstall utility to remove programs.

Dedrivudd

Dedrivudd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
okay. he didn't find the unistall thingie so he did it like that.. yeah i tried to do something in regedit, but I don't know much about it.. I shall wait

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
It is extremely difficult to guess since I do not have that game, and your error message is vague...is that the whole thing?

What I would try (I CANNOT PROMISE THIS WILL WORK) is to open regedit and go to the following key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Beneath this key are a hundred or so uninstall settings with big ugly names like:

{3248F0A8-6813-11D6-A77B-00B0D0150040}

(happens to be the sun java virtual machine)

You need to find the one that corresponds to the Star wars knights of the old republic -- the key will be identified in th DISPLAYNAME setting in the right window.

you then need to delete the entire key that looks like {xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxx} in the left pane

That may get you out of this jam.

Before deleting, I would right click the key and EXPORT is just in case. That way you can merge it back in by clickign the reg file that is created

Dedrivudd

Dedrivudd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Thank you very much, I ´will give this to him tommorrow. he hasn't got net so I'm "helping"

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
thanks for the hand gerry

Dedrivudd

Dedrivudd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
we can't find the number so now i'm asking in the KOTOR forum

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Use the Unistall manager in-built within HijackThis!.

Download HijackThis, if you dont alreay have it, from the following link:
http://www.geekstogo...n=download&id=3.
Open HijackThis
Click on the Config button.
Click the Misc. Tools button.
Choose Open Unistall manager
Click on Star Wars: KOTOR (or whatever the name is here)
Click on the Delete this entry.

Dedrivudd

Dedrivudd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
we will try that! thank you!