Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

internet address problem

• Please log in to reply

georgeed

georgeed

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz: I'm having a problem with URL addresses. If I use IP address I get conneted.
Tried piniging. IP address yes URL no. TCP/IP bound to ethernet adapter. using win 98 1rst ed. Cannot update to 2nd ed because I only have complete install.
What can I do?

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
It means that for some reason you are not connecting to the domain name service that refers you to the IP. How are you connecting to the Internet, what kind of service, etc, and are there any other symptoms? Have you made any changes lately, especially concerning your connections?

georgeed

georgeed

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
using cable connect, no other probs, think maybe internet network files got corrupted, think maybe I should put in XP for better environment, ip said it is in Win 98 and they don't support first ed. They said updating to sec ed would probably not solve prob

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Win98 isn't "natively" PPPoE friendly but somewhere I saw a patch for PPPoE. I'm on win98se right now, but on a router which handles the PPPoE login and protocol.