Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer nightmare

• Please log in to reply

Josiah_Fordahl

Josiah_Fordahl

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Here is whats going on... i have this computer that i built last spring. i kinda skimped on the powersupply and case, ( i thought i got a good deal, like 32 bucks for the setup) BIG MISTAKE! durring june in missouri i had it running like 3 days downloading stuff and playing games and it burned out. ( i am not sure what all burned out) i know that the powersupply got screwed and i think the case did but HERE IS THE PROBLEM.

i bought a new powersupply, i bought a new case, i bought a bunch of fans, and i bought a motherboard and processor combo ( cuz i thought it might be the motherboard or processor that got fried too.) So like 350 dollars later i still got nothing....

SO HERE IS WHAT IT DOES..... but when i go to turn it on you can hear stuff happening but there isnt a beep and there is no picture...

please help!!!!!!!!

- Josiah

Advertisements

boob

boob

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Your case burnt up? I'm a little lost, did the computer literally catch on fire or something? :tazz: If everything got fried as you said then the video card etc. would be as well. You'll need to give a bit more information... what do you see on the screen when you try to boot up? Is there a beep code? etc...

Josiah_Fordahl

Josiah_Fordahl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
i tried the graphics card in a different computer and it works in that one. it did not "burn with fire" i just smelled an awful electronic "burning" smell... (that was coming from the powersupply)

there is nothing on the screen i get no picture... and i also get no beep code...

thanks...

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
You might have over-reacted a bit, but .............

It sounds like you definately burned up your PSU and as you have indicated, its tough to know what else it took with it. As to your "new" system, did you just move the HDD over and try to boot?

You may need to get down to some basics here and first clear CMOS on your new board. Then pull all cards except video, re-seat your memory and then try firing up. Post back as to what happens.

:tazz:

Josiah_Fordahl

Josiah_Fordahl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
yeah i just moved the harddrive over and tried to boot.... and all i have in there is the video card.....

Josiah_Fordahl

Josiah_Fordahl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
well now i tried what you said... clearing the cmos and such... and it didnt work... i get the same thing.... cept i tried something else.. i took out the memory and tried booting and i actually got a beep code!!!!! i got 4 beeps and then a pause and then 4 beeps and it kept going like that... so maybe the memory is fried???? do you think that could be it???? - Josiah

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
What kind of memory - mfg, speed, size & latency? And, whats the new motherboard and processor?

Josiah_Fordahl

Josiah_Fordahl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
ok the memory is corsair value select 512 mb 400MHz PC3200 unbuffered latency is 2.5
the mother board is a mercury kvt600 X-L v. 1.1
the processor is an amd athlon xp 3000+ 2.16 ghz
here are the specs of the motherboard and processor
http://www.tigerdire...&Tab=2&NoMapp=0

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
I personally don't test that way so I'll let someone else answer you re: your beeps. Thats what you should be hearing with no memory in there. I've also never heard of a Mecury motherboard before but that could just be my sheltered existance. For $35, you may have gotten just what you paid for.

The MoBo mfg link for the manual at your vendor's site is broken, so you will need to search elsewhere. Mercury is not listed as a manufacturer at WinDrivers paid site (one of my favorites for issues like this) but a Google search does produce a lot of links for a Gateway Mercury Motherboard. Oh - Oh !!!!!!

Back to your problem. Check all of your connections. Try a different stick of memory in there if you have some and re-seat both your video card and memory. As to booting with your old system's HDD, you'll need to do an XP repair install to load the correct drivers but contrary to what some others have posted, its not all that difficult to move a fully loaded system hard drive from an old computer to a new one. You will need a slipstreamed CD with whatever service patch version you had installed on the drive.

Good Luck.