Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OS HELP

• Please log in to reply

nigel_wong

nigel_wong

• Pip
  • 4 posts
uggh... MAJOR problem, i just bought an ipod and the software Itunes is not compattible with my computers operating system (WINDOWS ME). is there a way to switch operating systems without having to reformat, because i have so many songs i do not want to redownload.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Upgrading to any other version of Windows will not work well from Windows ME. You can upgrade to windows xp but there will be so many problems that it will drive you nuts. Much less stress by just formatting the hard drive and installing XP fresh. If you have a CD Burner, just copy all the stuff you need to be saved (keep in mind you can't backup programs, ONLY FILES, you will need to reinstall the programs afterwards) onto CD's and then reformat your computer and copy the files back after it's installed.

Fenor

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
If you have the disc space you can run a dual boot of ME & XP

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
or if you have a second hard drive y ou can just push all your files over to the other drive