Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Transferin more than 700megs to a 1 GIG Mp3 player

• Please log in to reply

Steph76

Steph76

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there,
I recently purchased the Curtis MP1000, 1 Gig mp3 player. My problem lies in the fact that I cannot load more than roughly 700megs of songs, to a 1 gig player. After this occured I tried reformatting the player, but still.....the same thing happened. So I took it back to the store, and upgraded to a Creative MuVo Mini N200 - 1 Gig player, only to find that the exact same problem is occuring. After the player fills up with around 700 megs, I get the error "cannot creat file.....etc". Basically I can't drop/drag any more songs over.....even though I have 300megs of free storage left. Has anybody encountered anything like this before? Any help would greatly me appreicated....as my frustration grows!

Thanks,
Steph

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Even though it's 1Gig, that doesn't necessarily mean that it will HOLD 1 gig worth of information. You have to keep in mind the storage requirements needed for the MP3's programs and such. So 700MB is about right for the amount of storage. Think of it this way, when you buy a 40GB hard drive, you get roughly 37.8GB of storage.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i agree with fenor...this loss of space is probably due to the mp3 player's operating system

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Another thing to consider.... when it says 1 gig how is that defined? if it is defined as 1000MB then that is going to cause some error as well as 1 gig in hex ( the way a computer sees things) is 1024mb. And taking another page from computers it depends to on cluster size. it's a big difference if all files are round to the closest 4kb or the closest 16kb. Also it could be indexing... maybe it has a limit on how many mp3's it can hold besides the size limit. But as was said above 700mb doesn't sound that bad.