Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton will not allow my computer to finish boot

• Please log in to reply

Biochemlab

Biochemlab

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and greatly appreciate any help you can provide.

Here is my problem. When I turn on my computer (windows XP Pro laptop), all is fine up to the password screen.

Once I log on to my account (administrator) or the Guest account, the startup begins. It begins opening all of the programs that open prior to being able to actually use the computer.

One of these programs is Norton and this appears to be the problem. Right before the Norton symbol appears in the taskbar, a windows error message used to pop up:

"ccApp: ccApp.exe - Bad Image
The application or DLL C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProd.dll is not a valid windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette."

While this message was up, I had almost complete functionality of my computer. I tried to uninstall Norton, but it would not let me (using Add/Remove Programs from the control panel).

So, I found a copy of the file ccProd.dll and copied it to the folder listed above. It asked if I wanted to replace the original (0Kb) with the new file (45Kb). I said yes.

Then, it froze anyway. I rebooted, now I do not get that error message, but Norton freezes everytime. I have no chance to do anything before it freezes up.

I have backed up most of my information, but not all of it. If I can save my computer, I would like to. I know I can always re-install the operating system and all my software, but that will take days.

I would like to be able to provide you with a "HiJack This Log" but I do not have access to the system in question long enough to run anything.

Thanks Again!!

Edited by Biochemlab, 28 September 2005 - 09:57 AM.

Advertisements

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
The solution for you would be to boot up in the Safe Mode and uninstall Norton.

Uninstalling Norton can be a real pain.

Please visit this page - http://service1.syma...=&osv=&osv_lvl=

to read about the detailed uninstall instructions. Copy the instructions for easy acess. You may have to do it from another PC.

To boot in the Safe Mode, hit the F8 key repeatedly when the PC is booting up (much before the login screen comes up). There will be a menu displayed and the top options should be Safe Mode.

Let me know how it goes.

In case you have the installation key you can reinstall Norton or else I will suggest an alternative product for you.

Biochemlab

Biochemlab

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
That fixed it!! Thank you SO MUCH!!

I am NEVER using another Norton product again. Off to go get a copy of McAfee now.

Thanks again!!

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Wait !!!!!!!!

McAfee can be equally bad. Plus you will have to shell out some $100 for it !!!

You can instead use AVG Anti-Virus. This program is good and is free for personal use.